Recce Walk Saturday 18 Feb 2017...Moinho de Rocha

The ad hoc walking group
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Recce Walk Saturday 18 Feb 2017...Moinho de Rocha

Post by Geoff »

This is part of a longer walk we have done with the Wednesday walking group : this is a test to see if the middle section of that walk would make a good CVO Monday walk.

Terrain is quite reasonable, but there is quite a long uphill stretch but nothing too steep. There are 2 water crossings, but the stepping stones usually prove adequate. If you want to check out the photos, see :viewtopic.php?f=39&t=26423

I guess it's about 2h 30 mins, but might be a bit more.

For caffeine addicts, there isn't a cafe at the start of the walk, but there are 3 cafes on the approach road ( see below)..... I can't guarantee that O Tasco is open at about 0930 but there is Cafe A Taberna Nicola on the right , or cafe Andre on the left.....I expect to be at cafe Andre about 0940.

Start : 10.00 am

Degree of difficulty ( scale 1:5) : probably 2.5 or 3, somewhere between Moderate and Energetic.

Directions: From Lagoa, turn left on the N125 and go past the turn-off for Alvor. After a few hundred yards, there is a BP station on your right and a road signposted " Senhora do Verde, Vidigal, Casais, Alcalar, Torre" : turn right here. IF you go past the Hotal Penina on your left, you have gone too far
Go up this road ( M532). After going through a single lane tunnel and after about another 1/4 mile, make sure you follow the road bending left signed Alcalar ; do NOT go straight on.
You should then soon be crossing the motorway. Carry on, passing A Taberna Nicola cafe on your right, and Cafe Andre a bit later on your left. Carry on past O Tasco, on the left. Just past O Tasco, bear left and follow the Monchique sign. About 5 minutes after O Tasco, you will see a building on the right that used to be a cafe : this is what it looks like:

https://www.google.pt/maps/@37.235301,- ... !2e0?hl=en

Turn left here ( signposted Montes de Cima, Marmalete, Casais ) and park by the side of the road.

Map reference : 37°14'07.7"N ,8°35'29.3"W

Alternatively : wait just past the turn off on the N125 at 0930, just before the winery, and follow us!

Usual caveats: all walks are at your own risk, and we do not walk if it is pouring with rain.....I will endeavour to put any cancellation note on this site by 0830 on the day of the walk.

Walking boots/stout trainers , walking pole(s), hats and water recommended. No charge, of course.

Please advise if you are intending to come and whether you will want to meet us at the N125 turn-off.

As there isn't a cafe/bar at the start/end of the walk, we usually have a coffee/beer afterwards at O Tasco, a couple of miles down the road on the way back. I am not planning on having lunch. Alternatively, the "Honey Cafe" at Montes de Cima does coffee/beer/rolls/tostas a couple of miles up the road.

Any questions , please ask below or PM me or ring 282 380015 preferably between 1800-1900.

As it's a bit of a recce walk, numbers will be limited.
Lowthian
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Re: Recce Walk Saturday 18 Feb 2017

Post by Lowthian »

Count us in Geoff, Colin & Sharon.
KenC
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by KenC »

Yes, please Geoff.
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

..and John ( & ? Janet)...and Russell
janetandjohn
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by janetandjohn »

Yes Janet will be joining us, thanks Geoff,
Janet and John
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

A lovely sunny day as the 7 explorers met for a coffee at Andre's in preparation.

The recent heavy rains seem to have dislodged most of the stepping stones on the 2 water crossings, but Ken spotted a new bridge:
Image00001.jpg
Image00001.jpg (352.52 KiB) Viewed 4371 times
The climb took a bit longer than envisaged ( about 30 mins) but was a steady one, not too steep , but the overall length at 2h 55m meant it would be about the longest CVO walk.

It was generally agreed that it was a good one , about 12kms.

Degree of difficulty.....the length and the climb make it a grade 3.

Fording the water on the way back:
Image00002.jpg
Image00002.jpg (277.88 KiB) Viewed 4371 times
and having a celebratory beer at Andre's after:
Image00003.jpg
Image00003.jpg (129.33 KiB) Viewed 4371 times
My thanks to all who came....another walk for the repertoire.