Walk Saturday 7 May 2016 : Recci at Caldas de Monchique

The ad hoc walking group
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Walk Saturday 7 May 2016 : Recci at Caldas de Monchique

Post by Geoff »

Something quite different : Russell & Linda recci'ed this walk earlier this year and have given me a page of instructions to follow.....so, it ought to be easy to follow, but I can't guarantee we won't end up getting a bit lost. In any case, it should be a lovely walk through the foothills of Monchique.

There are plenty of restaurants in the area for those who ant a lunch or a snack afterwards : we will probably be trying Cafe Imperio, about a km further up the road that allegedly has the best chicken piri-piri in The Algarve ( I have heard that one before, but Jailhouse Dave also says it, so it must be true!).

Start : 10.00am

Duration : 10kms so about 2.5 hours

Directions: from Lagoa turn left on the N125 and drive to the Monchique turn-off at Portimao. Drive up the N266 towards Monchique for about 13kms till you come to the Restaurant Foz do Banho on the left hand side of the road. Park here.

Difficulty: not specified, but as it's hilly country I would expect it to be grade3, strenuous. There are apparently steep climbs near the start and at the end.

Usual caveats - all walks are at your own risk, and we do not walk if it is pouring with rain...no charge, of course...I will endeavour to put any cancellation note on this site by 0900 on the day of the walk.

Please indicate below if you wish to come. As it's a recci walk , numbers will be limited to about 6.

Any questions , please ask or ring 282 380015 preferably between 1800-1900 or 8am to 9am but not before 26 April or the weekend 29 April- 1 May.
williew
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Re: Walk Saturday 7 May 2016 : Recci at Caldas de Monchique

Post by williew »

Geoff

A group of us did this walk, I think, at the end of March - Karen & Caroline, Brian & Penny, Rod & Gail & Carol and I. Some truly spectacular views and a superb lunch at the restaurant. Took us about two hours and a half and we were a wee bit tired at end of it. Would not suit Bruce as getting close to a 4 or 5.

I took my usual notes but yet to type up.

Willie W
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

a superb lunch at the restaurant. I took my usual notes but yet to type up.
Which one Willie ? Cafe Imperio or Foz do Banho...we haven't been to either...latter looks pricier but has better views.

If you have typed your notes by the time we walk, would appreciate a copy please, to go with the notes from Linda, which I assume you had?
williew
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by williew »

It was Foz do Banho. Not your 10 euro lunch but worth it for views if outside on terrace. You will probably need to book if you want terrace.

Will send notes in next few days.

Willie W
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

Would not suit Bruce as getting close to a 4 or 5.
Just checked with the pathfinders and Russell reckons it's a grade 2....will reserve opinion until we do it!
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

Pam & Nick may be joining us....
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

Weather looks as if it might be ok for the morning...anyone else coming?
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

We only had Nick ( & Peter) on the walk, but fortunately the showers held off until near the finish. Unfortunately, we couldn't follow Linda's & Russell's directions and ended up doing, so it would seem, the walk Willie mentioned above, albeit in reverse.
Anyway, a good 2.5 hour, almost 10km walk.....grade 3 at least!

We'll have to get clearer guidance & try again!

Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

Sue & I had another go at this today, and managed to follow Linda & Russell's route OK this time. Lovely walk, no roads ( after first/last couple of hundred yards) and lovely views.
Only trouble was the rain...torrential for last half hour or so.

Anyway, a good new addition to the repertoire and we look forward to leading on it in November.

Grade of difficulty: at least 3+ Energetic, probably 4 Strenuous, but would welcome a second opinion!