WALK ON 2nd MAY: PORCHES TO ALBANDEIRO BEACH

The ad hoc walking group
williew
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

WALK ON 2nd MAY: PORCHES TO ALBANDEIRO BEACH

Post by williew »

This is a superb walk of great variety, starting off through a hamlet, then crossing the dunes, then through a valley to the cliffs between Marinha and Albandeiro Beaches then back through the valley. A camera is a must if you have not seen the cliffs! It is no more than a 1 on our scale but there is the occasional short sharp climb.

The start point is the Cafe/Restaurant known as Casa de Pasto Paragem. Coming from CVO take the N125 heading east towards Faro. Go past the International School and the traffic lights for Benagil and pass the two BP garages. Just after this take the first right off the roundabout heading uphill for Porches & Armacao de Pera. Keep on this main road and after about 1/2 mile you will come to open ground on the right side then the Casa de Pasto Paragem. There is a lot of open ground for parking opposite. The cafe at the start does a good cheap lunch!

Geoff's usual caveats apply. 10am start.

Please note that the walk will be cancelled of the weather is poor. I shall put a note on this website at about 0830 that morning, 0900 at the latest.

Tel +44 7715174723 or if you need more info or email w.whitesmith@sky.com

Willie W
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: WALK ON 2nd MAY: PORCHES TO ALBANDEIRO BEACH

Post by Geoff »

Hi Willie
Sue & I will be there, loking forward to a new lunch spot!
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

An old friend of ours, Zillah, would like to join you....
biffa
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by biffa »

What distance is the walk please?
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

What distance is the walk please?
Willie told me it's 5.1miles, should take 2 hours...and 1 minute!...try it?
biffa
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by biffa »

Thanks - I see now May 2nd is a Monday so not good for us! We are back in training for Tui to Santiago de Compostela in May (our 2nd pilgrimage) so getting a few kilometres under our boots now.
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

Monday so not good for us!
...could always try my walks on 5 and/or 7 May....bit more of an arduous training walk for you...
Campbell
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Post by Campbell »

Hi Geoff. Brian and Margaret Campbell would like to join you if that's ok. Cheers
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

Hi Geoff. Brian and Margaret Campbell would like to join you if that's ok. Cheers
It's actually Willie's walk, but I am sure he will be delighted to have you there.....I am doing the walks on 5, 7 and 9 May if you want to sign up for those as well, but they will be a bit more energetic by the sound of it!
KenC
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by KenC »

Sue and I hope to be there.
iwaddington
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by iwaddington »

Ian and Margaret also hoping to be there.
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

I have been eagerly awaiting Willie's report , but in the meantime will just say it was a lovely scenic walk, started so promptly that Nick who arrived at 10.03 missed us, walked off on his own but never bumped into us.
The planned 2h 1m became 2h 30 mins, but the cafe did a lovely starting coffee and an even better finishing cold beer.
It was too hot for us to stay for lunch, especially as we were hashing that evening, but 4 did : it looked good, I await a report.

Here's the group anyway;

williew
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by williew »

Many apologies to Nick for us leaving on time, if you had said you were coming we would have waited, honest.

Eleven of us set out, Carol & Willie, Sue & Ken, Sue & Geoff, Margaret & Brian, Margaret & Ian and Zillah. Lovely walk through to the cliffs and some lovely piccies taken.

We even saw hoopoes and I promised Ken a bee eater and there it was close to the finish. There were also some other lovely spring flowers.

It was hot but very enjoyable. We all ended up in the cafe for a beer but only Zillah, with Brian, and Carol and I stayed for lunch, a very nice chicken dish followed by superb puddings and splendid wine, and all for 10 euros per head (with a tip).

Our last walk till October, so sad. Even worse we had to go home and pack up the car for our start on Tuesday.

Good walking C Ramblers.

Willie W
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

I could almost caption the top photo as "Yeah....very scenic....but where's the mandatatory trig point??"
Sorry we couldnt make it Willy, but I've damaged my ankle ligaments, and the summer series of kids and families visits has started!!
Enjoy your summer.