Walk Thursday 23 November 2017 : Montes de Cima

The ad hoc walking group
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Walk Thursday 23 November 2017 : Montes de Cima

Post by Geoff »

I suspect that the Monday walk this week will still be a bit easy, so here's an extra one with a bit more challenge.

This is a new(ish) variant on a new walk... an added hill with beautiful views.....whilst I thought the original walk was a Grade 2 Difficulty and Bruce thought it was a 3, this is definitely a grade 3.

When we did the walk in May 2016, parts ( about 200m) were a bit overgrown , so perhaps shorts are not advised!......but the fires last year cleared a lot of this away, though the regrowth was quite strong earlier this year, so...?

Probably about 2 hours 30mins, mainly flat(tish) but with a steep climb at the start and a couple of moderate slopes later.

Degree of Difficulty ( scale 1:5) : 3 Energetic

Start : 10.00am

Directions: From Lagoa, turn left on the N125 and go past the turn-off for Alvor. After a few hundred yards, there is a BP station on your right and a road signposted " Senhora do Verde, Vidigal, Casais, Alcalar, Torre" : turn right here. IF you go past the Hotal Penina on your left, you have gone too far.

Please note there were a lot of roadworks here last week, and the signpost was missing......but it's first right past the BP station

Go up this road ( M532). After going through a single lane tunnel and after about another 1/4 mile, make sure you follow the road bending left signed Alcalar ; do NOT go straight on.

You should then soon be crossing the motorway. Carry on, passing A Taberna Nicola cafe on your right, and Cafe Andre a bit later on your left. Carry on past O Tasco, on the left. Just past O Tasco, bear left and follow the Monchique sign.

About 5 minutes after O Tasco, you will see a building on the right that used to be a cafe bear left here ( signposted Montes de Cima, Marmalete, Casais ) and drive on for about 3kms till you get to Montes de Cima. Follow the road round to the right to the cafe Taberna da Manel ; park opposite, or a bit further up the road.Please do not park just outside the cafe.

GPS : 37.241448, -8.611435

Alternatively : wait just past the turn off on the N125 at 0920, just before the winery, and follow us!

Usual caveats: all walks are at your own risk, and we do not walk if it is pouring with rain.....I will endeavour to put any cancellation note on this site by 0830 on the day of the walk.

Walking boots/stout trainers , walking pole(s), hats and water recommended. No charge, of course.

The cafe has a good range of sandwiches/tostas etc and sells honey in jars of all shapes and sizes.

Please advise if:
(a) you are intending to come
(b) whether you will want to meet us at the N125 turn-off

As these walks were quite popular , we may have to limit numbers to about 20 , so it is important to say if you intend to come.

Any questions , please ask below or PM me or ring 282 380015 preferably between 0800-0900 or 1800-1900 .

Lunch (optional) : with Amadeus Gardens closed and O Tosca not being what it was ( in my opinion), we MIGHT try Fontes de Pedra , but it was closed in Feb with a sign saying ( I think ) opening in March...we will try & check it out!! Otherwise, we can go to the Arao , about a 10mins drive : we went there last year and it was good,(prata de dia about 8€) but need to book...watch this space please.

change of plans...we won't be organising lunch...see post below
Linda and Russell
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: Walk Thursday 23 November 2017 : Montes de Cima

Post by Linda and Russell »

Please add Russell only to your walkers list. He can get some more honey at the cafe. I will be busy at the canil. Ciao Linda
Dafmie
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Dafmie »

Yes, please - both of us,
David and Mieke
gillandjim
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by gillandjim »

Count us in X gill
Josephine
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Josephine »

Mary M ✅✅
Apologies From Mary M
Have a great walk!
Last edited by Josephine on Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

Lunch (optional) : with Amadeus Gardens closed and O Tosca not being what it was ( in my opinion), we MIGHT try Fontes de Pedra , but it was closed in Feb with a sign saying ( I think ) opening in March...we will try & check it out!! Otherwise, we can go to the Arao , about a 10mins drive : we went there last year and it was good,(prata de dia about 8€) but need to book...watch this space please.
...well, Fontes de Petra still looks closed and another couple we met at Montes de Cima said they always found it closed, so it's plan B for lunch, the Arao, more like a 15mins drive, but nice views and mainly on the way back anyway.

I'll assume Russell, David & Mieke, Mary M plus us for lunch unless advised to the contrary. Any more coming for the walk, please state if you want lunch.

Change of plans.....we will not be doing lunch, see below
walker555
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by walker555 »

Geoff.
Please put us both down for walk and lunch.

Graeme & Marian Lightfoot
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

Hi all

Just to say that there were a lot of roadworks on the N125 last week , just after the Alvor turning and by the BP station here , and the signpost was missing......but it's first right past the BP station.
pauljb
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by pauljb »

Paul & Maggi pleased to join the walk but not stay for lunch - thanks
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

just to say that we won't be organising a lunch.....the cafe does sandwiches & tostas if required.
Geoff
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

A rather select group of only 11 turned up at The Honey Cafe aka Taberna do Manel on a rather cloudy morning....including Jane and Brian whom we last saw on an aborted Julie walk back in 2008!!
The clouds soon burnt off and we had a good 2h 40 m walk, though it grew rather windy at times. The regeneration, since the fires of 2016 was pretty good in places......remember to click on the photo to get rid of the sidebars:
Image00001.jpg
Image00001.jpg (268.36 KiB) Viewed 7349 times
Image00002.jpg
Image00002.jpg (313.75 KiB) Viewed 7349 times
quite a contrast to previous walks ...see the pictures from a year ago:

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=27289

There was only one car practising on the autodrome, so we had a quiet walk, though it was nice to hear that the birds had returned.

I had forgotten to take the usual group photo during the walk, but here we all are enjoying a post walk drink:
Image00003.jpg
Image00003.jpg (126.15 KiB) Viewed 7349 times