CVO Rambler walks : degrees of difficulty

The ad hoc walking group
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

CVO Rambler walks : degrees of difficulty

Post by Geoff »

Some people have asked that walks are graded for difficulty, so I am starting to adopt the following 5 point scale:

1. Easy......predominently flat , about 2 hours/2 h 15m ....eg Isle de Rosario ( around lavada), Alvor estuary.
2. Moderate.....some hills, generally firm ground.............eg Isle de Rosario ( across top), Pocco Barreta
3. Energetic......some steep hills, often with loose scree...eg Pedrira to trig point (clockwise), Vale Fuzeiros
4. Strenuous........steep hills, often with loose scree........eg Pedreira to Trig Point (anti-clockwise) to Barragem back via lavada , Enxerim
5. Challenging....steeper hills, often loose scree, quite long..eg Barragem de Funcho ( & up to trig point)

Feedback welcome.....we have yet to do the grade 5 walk with the CVO Ramblers...volunteers for May?
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: CVO Rambler walks : degrees of difficulty

Post by Geoff »

Just a reminder of the 5 point scale I use, comments always welcome on accuracy!
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

What you have forgotten to mention is that in your opinion only wimps and whoopsies do less than a grade 3, therefore you rarely do less than a 3. :P (unless you call it a 2 to 3)
Babaliz
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Babaliz »

Just a thought - how about walks for the 'wimps' (that's me!), maybe the 'CVO Strollers'??
Am not back in CVO until the end of September but would be interested in the lower grade walks then!
Sandy
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Sandy »

Yep - me too. I don't do well on hills or rough ground. I just recently arrived to retire here and would welcome a walking group like the one I just left where a group of us would meet most mornings.
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

in your opinion only wimps and whoopsies do less than a grade 3,
Not true Bruce.....the Algarve has some gorgeous scenery , and I am only too pleased to see people walking in it ( & supporting the local cafes, not just the tourist bars) , even if it is a predominently flat walk...
therefore you rarely do less than a 3.
but that is true....

Reason being that hilly walks ( I find) are generally more interesting , with better views.....and are also good exercise. Hence, as long as I am reasonably fit, will continue to lead the more energetic ones.

Having said that, many of the " grade 3 " walks are often only grade 3 for a short stretch, most of them being flatter. In May we did Willie's Porches walk ( grade 1!) and Casinhas (2) and often do the Benagil circuit (2).

There has certainly been the demand for this type of walk, having to restrict numbers to 20(ish) for the last year or so.

Having said that, always open to requests, so thanks to Babaliz & Sandy for their comments. We don't get back to Portugal till late October , and quite happy to organise some gentler strolls then......probably as a second walk in the week.

Don't forget that Julie Statham organises weekly walks ( advertised in Portugal News, but at 5€ pp) which ( so I hear) are pretty gentle!

And there's nothing to stop people running there own walks....Willie and Carol have done a lot of this of late & Bruce himself has lead walks near Alvor .
Sandy
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Sandy »

Thanks for that input Geoff. I'll look out for that. Have a fab day xx
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

When we come out, I'll do some grade 1 or 2 walks/strolls on a thursday and see what the demand is...keeping Mondays for grade 2, 3 or 4....hope to see you all there!
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

Just to say to Babaliz & Sandy ( & Bruce and any others that want a more gentle stroll) that my October/November schedule of walks is now posted , with a mix of Monday Striders and Thursday Stroller walks.
Please sign up for walks you wish to go on , so that we can see what demand there is for these extra walks.
Thanks.
Babaliz
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Babaliz »

Great, thanks Geoff - I will sign up for the Thursday Strollers - you never know, I might work up to the Monday striders!
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

Great, thanks Geoff - I will sign up for the Thursday Strollers - you never know, I might work up to the Monday striders!
Glad to hear it, but just to remind you that the thursday 10November walk is really a " monday" walk....I am doing it on the thursday as the O Gralha resataurant is closed on a monday....having said that, as I say in the description, most of it is pretty flat. I suggest we have a chat about it on the 3 November walk.