Post by tricky »

I've seen quite a few of the 'local'forum' members mentioning this place,
where is it, and what is it,please

Tricky
Thunderbolt
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Thunderbolt »

Rui's Marisqueira is in Silves and is one of the best seafood restaurants I have ever been to.

It doesn't look posh but the food is out of this world,

Clams, perceves, crab, spider crab, lobster, crayfish, oysters, and loads and loads of fish.
And one of best arroz de marisco too.

It's a definite thumbs up for me.

To find it (and forgive my bad explanation but I'm sure someone will give you more detailed instructions). Turn right when you come into Silves and drive down the road all the way to Silvia's bar I think it's called. try and park around there Then take the road straight after the bar on the right and walk up the cobbled street taking the road that forks to the left and then you can't miss it.

It's closed on Tuesdays and you cannot book so in the Summer it is advisable to arrive early.

They have a system where if there is a queue, you right your name on a little board and wander not too far to wait.
Bruxinha
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Bruxinha »

Forgive me dear Thunderbolt but may I assist with directions.

After crossing the road bridge into Silves you turn left at the traffic lights. Try to park immediately on the right where there is a parking area (not easy at the moment due to the riverside development works and less available parking). Then continue straight ahead on foot to the next set of traffic lights and turn right (you can't turn right in a car). There is a restaurant on the corner called O Cais. Continue straight up until the road forks into 2 and take the left hand fork where there is a chemist on the left. Continue straight up and Rui's is about the 3rd place on the left opposite the bank Crédito Agrícola.
tricky
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by tricky »

Thanks Girls,

Think I know the one you mean now, when we were in Silves in August, we saw a restaurant on a narrow side street (pedestrianised) that had tables outside, was full and people were queing up outside. White table cloths if I remember, think that might've been it.

Tricky
Thunderbolt
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Thunderbolt »

That will be the one.

And thanks Bruxinha! I need to write left and right on my hands! I know i meant left!!! :oops:
Gambrinus

Post by Gambrinus »

Easy directions to Rui's

Park anywhere in Silves ask anybody on a street corner: "Rui?" Keep following directions untill you reach the end of the queue :P

Recently I have found the restaurant to be quite expensive compared to other inland seafood restaurants. Granted he serves everything almost perfectly prepared and delicious, but I felt the fame was going to his head a bit when he charged me €90 for a couple of mixed starters and a sapateira. :?
Bruxinha
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Bruxinha »

You are of course right Gambo, ask anyone where Rui's is and they will point you in the direction. It is probably more famous than the castle.

90 EUROS!!!! Seems VERY expensive. Did you have loads of really expensive wine or something??? Are you sure you got the right bill? WOW! My dad always complains that it is bit too pricey there nowadays. Next time come with my Portuguese mate. Her cousin works there and last time we paid 18 Euros each (about 8 or 9 of us). We had clams, barnacles and crabs, wine and beer and I am sure some puddings and some coffees too.

I know the food is the most important thing and it is very good but my moan about the place is the ambience and decor...NAFF!!

Maybe he knows all about your millions stashed under your bed or in your swiss bank accounts :D
fmm
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by fmm »

We eat there every time we visit the Algarve. I must admit that I have the massive sea food for two which costs a fortune, but includes all sorts of wonderful fresh seafood which I can't get that easily in Bedfordshire!

You sit inside sqaushed together on trestle tables with paper tablecloths. Good service usually, very enjoyable wine and excellent food. But pricey if you go for the top of the range menu. If you eat "normally" then the prices are not much different to anywhere else. But there is no point going to Rui's if you are not going to have something a little extravagent!