Casa Velha do Pescador - Benagil

Henry
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Casa Velha do Pescador - Benagil

Post by Henry »

Really cross. Having eaten here on a few occasions, out on the balcony, and enjoyed the food and ambience, this time they tried to stitch us up. My wife and I went with friends and ordered Tiger Prawns (price marked as TPT - i.e. market price) as a starter for one of us. Two large prawns arrived, very tasty etc. Then, after more good food and wine, came the bill. They tried to charge us 64 Euros for the prawns.

I questioned it and was told it was right. I questioned it again and said that two prawns could not weigh 600 grammes. finally, after a row, they cut the price of the prawns in half and made no other gesture or apology. On the contrary the surly woman in charge threw the bill at us. How can you not question a 64 Euro starter when no price has been quoted, no fish shown, and the starter cannot ever have been weighed. For info, they wanted over 100 Euros per kilo. Compare this to 70 in Sueste (Ferragudo) and Rei das Praias (Caneiros beach), both of which are far superior restaurants in every way

To cut a long story short, they should have known when we first questioned it that the charge must have been completely wrong. Also, they obviously didn't weigh the prawns as they are obliged to, otherwise this could not have happened. Also, the prawns were not that big and probably weighed closer to 200 grammes. Also, who serves two large prawns at a cost of over 30 Euros as a starter, especially when you haven't see what you're getting.

Suggest you avoid the place because they are on the make. There is no other explanation.

I'm not saying the food is bad and the waiter service was great, except for this stupid, pig-headed woman and her pathetic reaction when caught out trying to stitch us up. Take care.

Henry

:evil:
Roger Alvorada
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Roger Alvorada »

Dear Henry,

My niece experienced exactly the same thing as what you told here..
Her boyfriend ordered the same tiger prawns, got three of them and had to pay 50 EURO'S. Allthough they had no complaints about anything what so ever and everything was great... I totally agree with you that such a price is unbelievable... Even in the most expensive restaurants in the Netherlands you don't pay that amount of money...

This is by far the most expensive I've ever heard in C'vo and the whole Algarve as far as I know. I've been coming in the Algarve (C'vo) for 29 years but this is the most ridiculous thing about restaurants I've ever heard...

Kind regards

Roger A.
daved
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Casa Velha

Post by daved »

:lol:
Dear Henry and Roger

I have eaten here everytime I visit CVO (at least 10 times/yr). I have always found it excellent for food, service and the chats I have with the owners.

Friday nights are especially nice with the guitar player (I have forgotten his name).

Incidentally I always have the fish and Prawn starter and have never been charged the prices you quote.

I have no problem recommending the resurante to every one

Regards

daved :D
Roger Alvorada
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Roger Alvorada »

Dear Daved,

Please understand that my niece and her boyfriend were really satisfied about everything, but when you have to pay such prices than it suddenly wasn't that good anymore, you know what I mean..

If it is so... that you have the grilled tiger prawns as well and you didn't pay that much than there are only a couple of conclusions we can make:

- the last time you went there was a year ago because from the look of Henry's post and the time when my niece and her boyfriend ate there it was both in august this year.. Maybe sinse then prices have gone up since then...? allthough it is still very odd that prices are that steep....

or:

- the restaurante randomly picks people to overcharge because I know one thing, my niece ande her boyfriend are not lying to me....

or:

you are the owner..;-)

However I am glad to hear that you or your friends never had any problems with the restaurante

Kind regards,

Roger A.