Julios Restaurant

nicky246
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Post by nicky246 »

Reading through these comments about Julios (and on earlier subjects and within different topics) do the people who run this place ever get to see the member's comments? I suppose they may read the forum and just ignore them. Perhaps the people (forum members) who know and like the owners of Julios might want to pass on those rather negative comments to them? It could be for their own good to see that there have been adverse criticism and then we might give the place a try. Just a thought!
Littlelegs
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Littlelegs »

We also had a terrible meal there back in March, had to wait for ages and there were only 3 other tables full and the food arrived stone cold and when we complained they just reheated in microwave so the Chateaubrand was completely spoilt, when I asked for something to be taken off the bill I just got a look as if to say WHAT was wrong with the food. NEVER go there again.
shanagarry
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Julios

Post by shanagarry »

Well here goes - among the brickbats and other missiles:

Julios is the best Restaurant in Cvo - bar none. If you go there and allow yourself to be treated in the way some of you claim you were - while unfortunate - its avoidable.

We have been going there for many years and have always been treated well - there have been times when the service is slow - but tell them - don't come on here and whinge.

We have taken many friends there who have returned time and again and everytime Julio and Helder make them welcome.

We will be there on Saturday night and am looking forward to it.
td
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Julios

Post by td »

Having been out of circulation for a few months and missing all the intellectual nourishment of the Forum I was delighted to see, on my return, that someone had remembered me - you sad person.

Firstly, I am not the owner of Julios - I wish I was and secondly I stand by all my previous assertions about this wonderful house of cuisine excellence and hospitality.

I have shown Julio the comments made on here about his restaurant and it genuinely saddens him to read such reports. He insists that if you are unhappy about any aspect of his service - speak to him there and then. If he is not there then Helder will oblige.

Biffa makes a valid point - why is the place always full?

You don't get to be that successful because your establishment consistently performs badly. So the next time you have a 'gripe' at Julios - deal with it while you are there and not on here - you will feel better for it.
pinkiebluesky
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by pinkiebluesky »

well said
shanagarry
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Julios

Post by shanagarry »

We had a meal at Julios on Easter Sunday evening - the food and the service was up to its usual very high standard and the place was packed.

This suggests to me that the 'bad press' the restaurant is given in here is not really reflecting the views of the majority.
jeremy
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by jeremy »

We have had nothing but good service from Julios. Only problems have been through bad choices. We intend to go there this year again for New Year's Eve. A great night the last time we went.
biffa
CVO Master
CVO Master

Julios

Post by biffa »

It is odd how the views on this subject differ so much. I have enjoyed Julios on the few occasions I have eaten there but must say my wife has not been so enthralled.

I believe Julios does a good job catering with a Portuguese/International menu to a certain type of diner. Basically he is dishing out what a large majority of people want. Sure he and his staff are more friendly when they get to know you but isn't that just like your restaurants and shops back home? If you area regular diner you do expect some perks don't you?

It is a shame some have had a less than an enjoyable experience but Julio is very personable and would like to hear any gripes to put them right. I have known him for well over twenty five years and know that is the case.
shanagarry
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Julios

Post by shanagarry »

Jeremy and Biffa

It is good to read of somebody supporting my views of Julios - thank you both.

We have been customers for only 7 years and know of his ownership of another restaurant in Cvo prior to his own. I share Biffa's view regarding the treatment you should expect if you are a regular customer of any service driven establishment - but earlier posters here don't seem to want to grasp that point.

Julio is well aware of the competition he faces from the other quality restaurants in Cvo and has, in my view, maintained his high standards.

In my opinion, it is still one of the top 3 in Cvo and will be for some time to come.
bifas 1st darling!
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by bifas 1st darling! »

I have to agree with Jeremy and Biffa. I've never had a bad meal at Julio's, we go there when we want something slightly different than the usual run of the mill food that's served in most of the restaurants in Carvoeiro, not that there is anything wrong with the food! I like the service, the waiters and the lovely matching china, cutlery, glasses,etc. there has been a lot of time, effort and money invested in trying to create a nice "ambiente", and I think they've got it right.

I've heard people rave about Chef Antoniós, personally I wouldn't let my dog eat there. I was very ill after eating there, first time it happened i thought i was just unlucky, but it happened several times so they've been crossed off our list of places to go.

Another is Escondadinho, what a filthy, dump. The only reason people go there is because it's CHEAP, to hell with health standards. I've seen people stagger out clinging onto a half full bottle of wine that they couldn't drink at dinner or lunch, the "locals" falling about laughing at them. It's not "typical" it's horrible, think about it would you go there at home :?:

But what the hell, each to his own :lol:
biffa
CVO Master
CVO Master

Julios

Post by biffa »

Blimey! First time she's agreed with me!

Not a regular at Julios but we went there on Sunday. Full as usual with a mixture of tourists, residents and Portuguese. You do have to admire how they perform and the place is like a new pin.

Enjoyed the meal, nothing historic (apologies to Michael Winner) but pretty good
biffa
CVO Master
CVO Master

Julios

Post by biffa »

Forgot to add that the big place past Julios toward Rocha Brava on the left is a restauarant about to open soon so we will see if Julio is affected or not when that happens.

They will have to do a good job to knock him off his perch!!
shanagarry
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Julios

Post by shanagarry »

Biffa, the restaurant you are referring to is owned by the guy who owns O Rafiol and is feeling the competitive 'pinch' since the alternative roads in/out of town have become established.

I don't envisage Julio having any sleepless nights - he is in a league with very few players.
bifas 1st darling!
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by bifas 1st darling! »

the big restaurante belongs to salvador from Rafael, on the way out of carvoeiro
onlyonenic
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Julios

Post by onlyonenic »

I don't know what all the fuss is about over this restaurant. We visited twice on a recent visit. Laughing The food and service were excellent. Like other diners whose comments I have read we were tucked away in a corner slightly by the grill but this only made our visit more interesting because we could see the fresh fish and meat cooked to order as well as the other goings on in the restaurant (a table of show offs who thought they were better than the rest of us for a start provided my husband and I with a great deal of free entertainment without even knowing it). I am sorry for those of you that were disappointed not to be centre of attention and tucked away on the sidelines. And of course new diners surely can't expect to be treated like loyal and regular customers that the waiters have built up a relationship with over the years.

I highly recommend this restaurant and will surely visit for a third and fourth and fifth time etc should my feet land in Carvoeiro in the future.