Rising prices

roy4eyes
CVO Master
CVO Master

Rising prices

Post by roy4eyes »

Today we went to Ponto de Encontro for lunch and the price has risen from € 10 to € 11.99 - a 20% increase and this coming after a drop in I.V.A. from 23% to 13% seems a bit naughty. Taking into account the drop in value of the pound this equates to a rise of around 35% from pre-brexit days.
Let's hope this is not a general trend or the days of eating out will be for the affluent tourists only.
It will be interesting to get reports from other eateries (and drinkeries).
Jaylay
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: Rising prices

Post by Jaylay »

Still ones of the cheapest countries in Western Europe, you should see the prices in France and Italy. Still a good price for a freshly cooked lunch with alcohol included.

Hope it also means the staff are getting a living wage and not the minimum Portugal one.
MaisieK
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by MaisieK »

What a strange amount to charge so in other words it is 12euros.
roy4eyes
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by roy4eyes »

Correct - I was given €4 change from € 40 for 3 people. In spite of my Yorkshire upbringing I thought it a bit churlish to ask for he extra € 0.03 :)
bugsey
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by bugsey »

Roy, not being an affluent tourist, just a tourist. Have been to several local restaurants in the area for lunch but none have gone up in price except for Ponto. Still their lunch menu is better than most.
tomgibson
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by tomgibson »

That has still got to be great value. One of our favourite restaurants.
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

roy4eyes wrote:Today we went to Ponto de Encontro for lunch and the price has risen from € 10 to € 11.99 - a 20% increase and this coming after a drop in I.V.A. from 23% to 13% seems a bit naughty. Taking into account the drop in value of the pound this equates to a rise of around 35% from pre-brexit days.
Let's hope this is not a general trend or the days of eating out will be for the affluent tourists only.
It will be interesting to get reports from other eateries (and drinkeries).
Roy I don't visit this site very often as nothing much happens and when it does it usually involves the duck!

I can only assume your comment is made "tongue in cheek" only affluent tourists affording to eat out at €11.99 come on .

As for pre Brexit days - move on we are leaving and the pound will continue to fluctuate against the €, it always has and always will, get used to it it's what currencies do !

I can assure you that you have significantly more free cash from your income and investments to spend in Portugal than you would have if you returned to Blighty.
roy4eyes
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by roy4eyes »

As Pato says "it takes a controversial comment to get any response !!"

Equally as some newspaper editor is reputed to have said "the only good new is bad news !!" :lol:

Yes my Yorkshire tongue is firmly in my Gloucester cheek :wink:
smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by smudger »

MaisieK wrote:What a strange amount to charge so in other words it is 12euros.
I can remember when Marks and Spencers priced everything ending in 99p, then change of policy and now rounded to nearest £.
steve
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by steve »

We went to Vila Medici for the first time in a while. There was a new menu which had dropped a couple of things I like but what struck me most was that the house wine is now €19 a bottle. Is this the new norm? It seems pricey to me
ceh
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by ceh »

We've just returned from a long weekend in cvo after a break of 5 months and thought that O Ponto de Encontro was more expensive than last year. We ate at A Rampa in Porches one night and the cost was half and the food better! My fish at O Ponto wasn't cooked properly. As we're out for 3 weeks in June, we are going to do a rethink as to where we go to eat.
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

Where is A Rampa in Porches please? We may give it a try in March.
logicbob
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by logicbob »

alf1956 wrote:Where is A Rampa in Porches please? We may give it a try in March.
Check on this Restaurant Map
ceh
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by ceh »

What I forgot to say was that at O Ponto we had 1 couvert, 2 mains, 1 dessert, 2 coffees and a bottle of wine. At A Rampa we had 2 couverts, 2 mains, 2 desserts, 2 coffees and a bottle of wine.

Not only was A Rampa half the price but we had more for the money and much better food!

Give it a go alf1956 - we use the twisty road through to Porches from Caramujeira. It's advisable to book - there were only 2 tables (for 2) left last Saturday night.
steve
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by steve »

We went to Pashmina again last night. Excellent as usual and the house wine is €10.