Wine tasting at Le Cro

destroyer
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Wine tasting at Le Cro

Post by destroyer »

We did this yesterday lunchtime and a very enjoyable experience it was.
Our party of five adults (and a baby who was also cheerfully accommodated but stayed off the booze) tasted six Portuguese wines from three regions. The wines were a "green" wine, two further whites, a rose (sorry stumped again by accent key) and two reds.
I don't regard myself as what my dad used to call a "complete Palestine" where wines are concerned, but I'm a million miles from being an expert. However, I felt I'd received a very pleasant education. All of the wines were good but, for me, the Vinho Verde was outstanding and the rose a revalation. It's a wine I've always dismissed as a bit cissy frankly, but this was dark and full of body
Marina and Hugo provided tapas to complement the wines, which too were excellent. This was our first visit to Le Cro and I can see why it gets the praise it does. Not a cheap outing, the wine tasting was 20 Euros a head and the tapas, water and a couple of nice ports came to another eighty. You do get what you pay for though, which is quality wine and food, and excellent, friendly service. We were there for over two hours and we all agreed it was superb.
May try the world wines tour when we're next over. Will certainly be putting it on our lunch list.