Da donato

Laneyloo
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Da donato

Post by Laneyloo »

Can anyone tell me what is happening at Da Donato's near the water tower. One of our favourites..maybe just closed for renovation but will be sad to see it change too much as it had a really good atmosphere.
smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: Da donato

Post by smudger »

When over beginning of month, place was totally deserted, tables and chairs removed, signage outside removed, doubt if renovation, more like closed down. :(
tricky
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by tricky »

Heard the lease was up and owners relocating to Lagoa
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

He is reopening just opposite Pingo Doce in the old A Palletta in the spring.
There is talk of him running a courtesy bus from Sesmarias to the new restaurant , but I wouldn't like to guess how long that will last.
The story goes that the owner of the Sesmarias restaurant, seeing how successful Donata was, wouldn't renew Donatas lease, and is putting his son in there to maybe cash in.
How true that is, I wouldn't like to say
Jaylay
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Jaylay »

Bruce Wallis wrote:He is reopening just opposite Pingo Doce in the old A Palletta in the spring.
There is talk of him running a courtesy bus from Sesmarias to the new restaurant , but I wouldn't like to guess how long that will last.
The story goes that the owner of the Sesmarias restaurant, seeing how successful Donata was, wouldn't renew Donatas lease, and is putting his son in there to maybe cash in.
You may have this wrong Bruce heard it was Tia Rosa that Donato was taking, makes sence as the owners have wanted to retire for years,Decsription opposite Pingo Doce sounds as if this is correct. Also doubt that A Palletta would every give up their very busy and popular restaurant.

With regard to the property at Sesmaries it was run by the owner for many years before Donato took it. Joao the owner broke both his legs in a fall from a roof and let the property out. His sons are now in their late 20s /30s and now likely want a business of their own.
nosivad
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by nosivad »

Hello Jaylay, is it possible to confirm that it is Tia Rosa ? we have been going there for almost 30 years and know Silva and Rosa very well. The last time we saw them they didn't mention this but Rosa has been quite ill of late and I prefer not to ring them in case it is bad news we will await their usual xmas card.
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

Jaylay wrote:
Bruce Wallis wrote:He is reopening just opposite Pingo Doce in the old A Palletta in the spring.
You may have this wrong Bruce heard it was Tia Rosa that Donato was taking, makes sence as the owners have wanted to retire for years,Decsription opposite Pingo Doce sounds as if this is correct. Also doubt that A Palletta would every give up their very busy and popular restaurant.

With regard to the property at Sesmaries it was run by the owner for many years before Donato took it. Joao the owner broke both his legs in a fall from a roof and let the property out. His sons are now in their late 20s /30s and now likely want a business of their own.
Certainly extensive alterations and renovation underway at the old Donato's. Let's hope that the owners sons have the same enthusiasm, pricing strategy and culinary ability that made Donato's so popular.
nosivad
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by nosivad »

ANY MORE NEWS ON THIS ?
njc0607
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by njc0607 »

so I was told the other day by my pal, that knows the original owner - it is re-opening with the original owners sons running it... not sure on details of menu/style yet though - but do hope they will do the take outs and pizzas again.
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

Also heard that Donato is opening at what was known as Tia Rosa. Too far to walk from Sesmarias so, like many others, hope that the owner's son can emulate or improve on the old Donato's.
Jaylay
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Jaylay »

Heard that the son of the owner of the old Donatos building is looking for a pizza chef.
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

Jaylay wrote:Heard that the son of the owner of the old Donatos building is looking for a pizza chef.
Let's hope he finds a really good one !
smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by smudger »

Passed by couple of times last week, sometimes sound of work being done to the inside.
All the bushes have been well cut back!!
No sign up saying when hope to open again.
Also Rosa's Bar still closed.
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

Sign outside Donato's opening shortly !
Attachments
Sign outside Donatos!!!.rtfd.zip
Sign outside Donato's opening shortly !
(1.33 KiB) Downloaded 359 times
smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by smudger »

widge wrote:Sign outside Donato's opening shortly !
Must have read my post and realised better advertise opening!! But is "shortly" sooner or later than "opening soon". :?