Oktoberfest

roy4eyes
CVO Master
CVO Master

Oktoberfest

Post by roy4eyes »

Great night at this event at the Bier Keller adjacent to the Porches roundabout on the 125. Fantastic oompah band and atmosphere comparable to a miniature Munich beer hall.

Staff were all in bavarian costumes, beer in litre tankards and typical food - large in quantity but variable in quality (3 of our party said the food was good and 3 not too happy). All in all though good craic and not too expensive at € 35 each including our beers, wine and food.
Last edited by roy4eyes on Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SJ & RE
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: Oktoberfest

Post by SJ & RE »

It is part of Vila Vita Parc and yes it should be good, the meat can be bought from the butcher there too
BarryTodd
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by BarryTodd »

roy4eyes wrote:Great night at this event at the Bier Keller adjacent to the Porches roundabout on the 125. Fantastic oompah band and atmosphere comparable to a miniature Munich beer hall.

Staff were all in bavarian costumes, beer in litre tankards and typical food - large in quantity but variable in quality (3 of our party said the food was good and 3 not too happy). All in all though good craigh and not too expensive at € 35 each including our beers, wine and food.
What is craigh?
roy4eyes
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by roy4eyes »

An Irish expression for which I could think of no direct English equivalent meaning a great time/event e.g for Sam Sparkle a day at the races and picking a few winners is good craigh (or craic pronounced crac). :P
BarryTodd
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by BarryTodd »

Sorry, I know what craic is, I just wonder where you found the word craigh. The Irish adopted craic from the English word crack :D . Craigh in Irish means agonise, torment or grieve :D :D. That could also be appropriate after a bad day at the races :shock:
Oh, and don't use the word cráic, that means something very different :D :D :roll:
roy4eyes
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by roy4eyes »

Apologies to all the Irish. The thought was there but not my Irish dictionary :oops: :oops:
Last edited by roy4eyes on Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by smudger »

roy4eyes wrote:Apologies to all Paddys. The thought was there but not my Irish dictionary :oops: :oops:
Not sure if you saw the media article on what nationality descriptors were offensive and to what degree?? As Scottish, I note that calling us a "Jock" was classed as 'medium'. Think the article mentioned "Taffy" in the same vein, but don't recall any mention of "Paddy".

Just saying!! :wink:
roy4eyes
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by roy4eyes »

Not wanting to be refused entry on my next visit to Ireland (or should I say Eire), I have edited my previous posts.

I hope my Irish friends will now speak to me again :roll: :)

Now looking forward to a Dublinfest !!