Jardins Oliveras - Monchique.

Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Jardins Oliveras - Monchique.

Post by Bruce Wallis »

We have searched in vain for 12 years for a restaurant in this area that served high quality Portuguese country food, and yesterday, almost by accident found that elusive restaurant.

Jardine Oliveras sits just off the road going up towards Foia, on the mountainside above the town of Monchique.
The restaurant itself is hidden away up a narrow lane on the right hand side of the road as you go up, and the welcome you receive upon arrival lets you know that you are in for a good experience.
The food is unashamedly rustic, and traditional mountain fayre, but the quality is superb.
We put ourselves in the owners hands, and what he served us did not disappoint. Wild Boar, Cabrito,(Young goat)' and black pork, were delicious, and all washed down with local wines.

This place is not for those that believe that good food is all high end and designer, but if you want the 'Real Portugal', seek Jardins Oliveras out. I promise you that you won't be disappointed.
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: Jardins Oliveras - Monchique.

Post by alf1956 »

Bruce this sounds like a good find & I think we will defo try it this week before we go back to the Uk on Saturday. I have been to Monchique & to Foia but I do not recall seeing any signs etc for this place could you please give me a guide as to where it is as its quite easy to get lost driving round the small roads looking for places. As a matter of interst what were the prices like?
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

Directions.....

You pass through Monchique and follow the road up towards Foia
After a couple of km the view on the left drops away and you get a great view of the quarry below.
At this same point there is a quite popular restaurant and hotel on the right which usually has tour buses outside. 100m further on there is a clapboard peri-piri restaurant on your left also overlooking the quarry. (This restaurant is quite good, and has great views over the valley)

About 100 metres further on the road bends to the right and goes into some trees. Just beyond the bend there is a sign on the right hand side of the road pointing out the Jardens Olivaro restaurant which is up a track going up in a hairpin back the way you came. Don't go round the main road bend too quickly or you'll overshoot the hair pin turn.
Follow this lane up the hill for a couple of hundred metres to where it bends to the left.
There is another sign which means you don't take the bend, but carry on down another track, and 100m further down you will find the restaurant carpark.
Enjoy.
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

Bruce Wallis wrote:Directions.....

You pass through Monchique and follow the road up towards Foia
After a couple of km the view on the left drops away and you get a great view of the quarry below.
At this same point there is a quite popular restaurant and hotel on the right which usually has tour buses outside. 100m further on there is a clapboard peri-piri restaurant on your left also overlooking the quarry. (This restaurant is quite good, and has great views over the valley)

About 100 metres further on the road bends to the right and goes into some trees. Just beyond the bend there is a sign on the right hand side of the road pointing out the Jardens Olivaro restaurant which is up a track going up in a hairpin back the way you came. Don't go round the main road bend too quickly or you'll overshoot the hair pin turn.
Follow this lane up the hill for a couple of hundred metres to where it bends to the left.
There is another sign which means you don't take the bend, but carry on down another track, and 100m further down you will find the restaurant carpark.
Enjoy.
Thanks Bruce.
Mike Banks
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Mike Banks »

Tried this restaurant today. The location is fantastic. I ordered the roast kid and Lynda had the wild boar, but we shared both. If I'm being picky, the kid was a little tougher than I was expecting, but the wild boar was excellent. The cost for 1 glass of wine and 1 orange juice, couvert, 2 mains, 2 desserts and 2 coffees was €53.
cumbria sue
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by cumbria sue »

Went yesterday ,great setting ,great meal nice to try somewhere different