O' Barradas

cumbria sue
CVO Master
CVO Master

O' Barradas

Post by cumbria sue »

We ate here last night , the food and service were excellent , all their fish is line caught and fresh every day , a little more pricey than most but well worth at least one visit :D
bruce
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: O' Barradas

Post by bruce »

Thanks Sue it looks lovely, will have to give it a try next visit.
ceh
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by ceh »

Where is this please ?
cumbria sue
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by cumbria sue »

ceh wrote:Where is this please ?
On the way to Silves, if you look on their web site will tell you , well worth a visit
tricky
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by tricky »

It's nice in winter too. It has a big log fire but ask to be seated away from it as it gets quite hot. I had the best desert I've ever had there. Are the puddings still good?
cumbria sue
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by cumbria sue »

tricky wrote:It's nice in winter too. It has a big log fire but ask to be seated away from it as it gets quite hot. I had the best desert I've ever had there. Are the puddings still good?
Still good , I had passion fruit Tiramasu with mint pesto it was to die for
Alison
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Alison »

This is one of our favourite restaurants. Not cheap but excellent food, particularly their baked fish casserole and fresh fish. Lots of homemade and often home grown produce, including their own wine. Lovely courtyard area for sitting out in summer months and cosy indoors in the winter. Excellent New Year's Eve dinner. It is in Palmeirinha, to the left just off the road towards Silves.
ianmurray
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Post by ianmurray »

Barradas is great, it was a recommendation of a local friend. Not cheap but is worth it.
Recently, I heard they have their own wine production. Is this true?
cumbria sue
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by cumbria sue »

ianmurray wrote:Barradas is great, it was a recommendation of a local friend. Not cheap but is worth it.
Recently, I heard they have their own wine production. Is this true?
they hadn't that I know of in Oct , have just been on their web site and no mention of it but will ask in Feb when we will be going for a great meal
Alison
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Alison »

They have been selling their own wine for a couple of years. I'm not a wine drinker but hubby is and says the red is good - good enough to buy a 6-bottle case anyway!
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

The owner prides himself on his wine : we were there at the end of Feb, it was full on a sunday night! The house red was a 2010, great at 15€, even better if you buy half a dozen to take away, think price is 6.5€...owner said that Intermarche sell it for about 8 or 9.
That is the red : wasn't so sure about the white, rather bland.
Food was excellent. They now do a 3 course menu for 22.5€, excl drinks.
Nice fire in winter.
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

We are longtime fans of O'Barrada, having introduced several friends to the restaurant. It came as something of a disappointment , therefore, to have what we and our friends would best describe as a very expensive and distinctly average meal there a couple of weeks ago.
3 of our party had the fish of the day, and all 3 found it not well cooked and very poor value.
Myself and another had the house lamb stew, a speciality, which was bland and under seasoned. A bit like a mid week meal in Lancashire, but not so good.
The saute potatoes were a bit greasy.

Why an excellent restaurant like this should appear to go down hill like this, I dont know. Too comfortable for too long?? Maybe.

Id like to hope that our evening was an off night. Maybe, but the reality is that we wont be going back until we hear that it has returned to its former glory.
sasha1
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by sasha1 »

We had a similar experience in this restaurant. I had the 'house' lamb stew and found it very plain and ordinary. My husband's fish was expensive and not much of it. We haven't been tempted back despite the good reviews.
pickwick
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by pickwick »

Our Portuguese neighbours took us there a few weeks ago and the food was all really bad. They had the "lamb special" and my wife had the "fresh" fish. All dishes were virtually inedible. I had the lamb chops which were just OK but the chips and veg were horrible. They were so disappointed we left straight after the main courses (thank God we did not try any starters) and I took them straight to the Wolf in Carvoeiro. Needless to say they were stunned by the quality of the food and what good value for money it was. I really do not know why I ever go anywhere else as it is always a huge disappointment.

Pickwick
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

Oh dear, what happened to them between March and May?