A Rede - sanity returns?

destroyer
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

A Rede - sanity returns?

Post by destroyer »

We have been here ten days and have walked by A Rede every night. So far no shouting at all. Is it too much to hope management have got the message?
algarve123
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Re: A Rede - sanity returns?

Post by algarve123 »

We noticed and discussed the exact same thing when over a few weeks back. We passed every day and not a word said. When we were over earlier in the summer they were making comments across the street all the time.

Hopefully they continue on keeping low key like this as we ate there before and it was nice but we were put off from returning because of them shouting across the street at people mnding their own business. Im sure they meant it all in good humour but it was just a bit off putting for what otherwise seems like a nice place.
roy4eyes
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by roy4eyes »

We ate here tonight and it was excellent. Warm welcome from Carlos, different couvert of sundried tomato, anchovies with onions, garlic pate, sardine pate, bread & butter.

We then had the mussels which were not as good as previous visits, mentioned this and they were immediately removed from the bill, superb fillet house steak divided between the two of us, white and red (pure Tourigo national) wines of Carlos's choosing and both superb, molotov and chocolate meringue cake, coffees and liqueurs with top class service for under € 50 for the two of us.

Forget the previously reported shouting across the street and just enjoy possibly the best value, out of the run of the mill portuguese cuisine in Carvoeiro.

P.S. I am not related to nor have any interest in the owners/business !!
Last edited by roy4eyes on Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aldo
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Aldo »

Roy
completely agree with you, its a great place to eat. Plus once you eat there, the shouting stops!
sunman
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by sunman »

glad to hear that things have taken a turn for the better :)

has anyone taken young children in here recently? last time in I took young nieces & nephews, they all wanted kids burger & chips; the burgers served were the worst low grade you could expect to buy at Iceland, thin, gristly & unappealing;
adult food, steaks etc all good.
roy4eyes
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by roy4eyes »

There were several young children in last night and although I did not notice exactly what they were eating there did not seem to be any complaints.
Bigben
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Bigben »

We ate here this evening - first time for two years. Still getting a wave/greeting as we walk past, but in a more relaxed style....?

It took a little while to explain we didn't want bread, pate, cheese and the rest...just a bowl of olives. Yes, we were served that. We decided to choose something from the "specials" board - a whole sea bass shared between the two of us. It came filleted, and accompanied by potatoes, salad and vegetables. One of the waiters served the fish and accompaniments on to the plates, if in a rather hurried manner. But I have to say we really enjoyed the meal, and the house white was an appealing, fresh and fruity accompaniment.

The complementary glass of port was definitely on the generous side, and the whole meal was very enjoyable, and actually reasonably priced in comparison with other meals we've had on this visit.

I still find their approach slightly "pushy", and I don't think they need to be. Personally, I would appreciate a slightly more relaxed approach.

But that's just my opinion.
DVBRO
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by DVBRO »

Bigben wrote:We ate here this evening - first time for two years. Still getting a wave/greeting as we walk past, but in a more relaxed style....?

It took a little while to explain we didn't want bread, pate, cheese and the rest...just a bowl of olives. Yes, we were served that. We decided to choose something from the "specials" board - a whole sea bass shared between the two of us. It came filleted, and accompanied by potatoes, salad and vegetables. One of the waiters served the fish and accompaniments on to the plates, if in a rather hurried manner. But I have to say we really enjoyed the meal, and the house white was an appealing, fresh and fruity accompaniment.

The complementary glass of port was definitely on the generous side, and the whole meal was very enjoyable, and actually reasonably priced in comparison with other meals we've had on this visit.

I still find their approach slightly "pushy", and I don't think they need to be. Personally, I would appreciate a slightly more relaxed approach.

But that's just my opinion.
Having lived here for many years, and seeing the antics, in the past, of the Waiters, we decided to give this place a try.
I agree 100% with Big Ben's comment, except I found it rather expensive.
After the initial rush and service by panic, as we were nearly the last to leave, the waiters were far mor cordial!
Food was 6/10 service 4/10 and the cost of a bottle of house a Wine 1/10.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Based on some of the reviews here, I decided to try A Rede again after a gap of 4 years. I drove up there for lunch, and parked very nearby. No sooner was I out of the car when this a$$hole in a black tie standing in front of A Rede was shouting "ey eye ey, oi oi oi, eye eye", so I crossed the road away from him and he just shouted the same - only louder.

So, I went into The Earth restaurant right opposite and had a Chicken Wrap with a micro brewed beer and enjoyed a meal that was different, fresh, tasty, imaginative, healthy and served by a couple of extremely pleasant young people running this establishment. Yes, it was bit more expensive, and I missed the "joys" of bog-standard fish and boiled veg but I certainly did not miss the stupid service, garish decor and silly jokes.
earth.jpg
earth.jpg (139.63 KiB) Viewed 9256 times
Gregory
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Gregory »

What a shame, have had recent reports that it was much improved!!! Would appear not. :roll:
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Gregory wrote:What a shame, have had recent reports that it was much improved!!! Would appear not. :roll:
To be fair Gregory, I didn't even give the food a chance. It was not an option.
madaboutangling
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by madaboutangling »

Not tried A Rede and put off now but can really recommend the Earth Cafe for daytime snacks and meals. They have very tasty food and drink options in a very pleasant room. Also has some really good gifts to take home. It is run by the same people as the Terroir Wine Bar, also excellent and stocks a lot of the same good wines from around Portugal.