Tipping

jjallen
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Tipping

Post by jjallen »

I am interested to know what people think about tipping in bars and restaurants.

Do you think the tips should just go to the underpaid staff?

or do you think the owners should be included?

I go to a lot of restaurants worldwide and I was surprised to over here a conversation in a small restaurant that the owners took more from the tips then they gave the staff. When I heard this I decided to cancel a table I had booked and I will not return as I know most places only pay 5 eurs a hour.

what do you think?
Farol
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: Tipping

Post by Farol »

If you are talking about tipping in the Algarve then I was always told that tipping is NOT the norm other than leaving the smaller coins in your change. This doesn't mean you cannot tip but it's not expected.
HampshireRich
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by HampshireRich »

I always tip providing the meal and service is acceptable. The amount depends how much I have enjoyed myself at the establishment and is a statement of appreciation.
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

We always tip where justified, in the Algarve, but we always give the money, in cash, directly to the waiter that we believe has earned the tip.
jjallen
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by jjallen »

I understand that you tip for a good service, but I really don't like to think that I am tipping just for the owners of the restaurant to take advantage of the underpaid staff not just waiters but kitchen staff. I watched one owner of a small restaurant in Carvoeiro put the coins from my tip in the tip pot but keep the 5 eur note which I think is not the correct think to do. I feel sorry for the staff that work in the restaurants and hope owners are reading this.
dennisg
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by dennisg »

I always tip around 10% of the bill provided the food and service are satisfactory, both in UK and abroad. I even tipped in Australia, much to the horror of my relatives who reckon that no-one there expects tips. I pay by credit card where possible and give a cash tip to the waiter/waitress.
DaveK
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by DaveK »

I also tipped in Australia on our first visit. Went to the same Cairns restaurant several times and the seafood was excellent. Good luck to the waitress, the food and service were superb so no regrets. No wonder she was so keen to serve us. In Portugal always pay cash and leave small change for the wait staff, about 10% if everything was satisfactory.
Farol
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Farol »

It would be good to have some foreign input to this thread.
PhilT
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by PhilT »

I've found the following seems to work:
in the UK around 10% marked up and down +/-5% depending on service, USA typically 15%, also +/-5%. In Mediterranean Europe and including the Algarve, not such a prescriptive percentage, small change left over for perhaps dois galoish and maybe 12% or so for a really nice evening, good food and appropriate service.
smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by smudger »

We'll leave a tip based on quality of food and service. Even here in UK, if we pay by card we tip in cash. We have, rarely thankfully, not left a tip.

Just realised, I don't tip the bar staff in my local pub!!! :oops:
piggywidden93
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by piggywidden93 »

If we get a waiter/waitress who has been friendly and helpful we ask them if they will get the tip if we leave one - that way you know it has gone to the right person. If they say no we don't leave one.
bruce
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by bruce »

We don't ask we just leave 10% of the bill.
Aldo
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Aldo »

Snap! 10%
pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by pato »

smudger wrote:We'll leave a tip based on quality of food and service. Even here in UK, if we pay by card we tip in cash. We have, rarely thankfully, not left a tip.

Just realised, I don't tip the bar staff in my local pub!!! :oops:
It's normal to say "have one yourself" when you pay first time isn't it? Then if they rip you off you never tip them again. 8)
ceh
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by ceh »

We usually leave a tip of approx 10% in bars if we have a snack and in restaurants. We might round up a bit more if its our first visit and the experienec has been good.