Mona Lisa

mur1963
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Mona Lisa

Post by mur1963 »

After lots of visits in the last 3 years we came to rely on Mona Lisa for a warm welcome and good pizzas/great garlic bread. Today at 6pm I rang and booked a table for 7.30 tonight and after being seated and served with our drinks we were informed that hopefully only 2 of our party of 5 wanted pizza as they had run out of dough! I thought it was a joke but apparently not - we left and headed into Carvoeiro . Never heard of a pizza restaurant running out of dough before so we won't be going back
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: Mona Lisa

Post by widge »

Fair comment !
tomgibson
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by tomgibson »

Quite amazing!

Had you continued down the hill as though heading for Rocha Brava and taken the first turning on your right (not down to the beach)
and continued to follow the road up the hill and round to the left you would have come to the Pizzeria Bella Napoli that serves excellent
pizzas. To the best of my knowledge they have never run out of dough!
sunman
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by sunman »

I remember an Indian restaurant in Gale not having any papadoms a few years ago, no papadoms? April fool? never heard of it again before or since :lol:

shame about Mona Lisa but would echo the votes for Bella Napoli, a nice spot if you want a change from town.
ceh
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by ceh »

We ate there once about 3 or 4 years back and although we had a good evening, I prefer. Bella Napoli which does the best pizzas around but also other dishes. We often eat in there on our first night back, particularly if we're on a late flight out. Wea ate there over the Easter weekend and had a warm welcome
dennisg
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by dennisg »

Mona Lisa is a nice restaurant but we prefer Bella Napoli as we can walk there and the food is somewhat cheaper and just as good.
Mike Banks
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Mike Banks »

We've just had our usual excellent meal at Mona Lisa and have never had cause for complaint in all the years that we have been going there. We had bruschetta followed by risotto and canelloni, and received the usual waem welcome from Antonio. We will prbably be going to Bella Napoli later in the week as well.
BarryTodd
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by BarryTodd »

We've been going there for many years, but sad to say I don't think we will be back after last night. It took nearly two hours for our pizzas to be served. When we started complaining, after an hour, Antonio's son just laughed and told us to order more drink.
tomgibson
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by tomgibson »

That is a great shame. You should try Bella Napoli. Carry on down the hill as though you were heading for the beach, turn right and proceed up the hill bearing to the left and you will find Bella Napoli on your left where there is adequate parking.
cumbria sue
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by cumbria sue »

tomgibson wrote:That is a great shame. You should try Bella Napoli. Carry on down the hill as though you were heading for the beach, turn right and proceed up the hill bearing to the left and you will find Bella Napoli on your left where there is adequate parking.
And Helder's right next door :D :D :D
piggywidden93
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by piggywidden93 »

Bella Napoli's pizzas are lovely, we usually have them as take away if we have a night in 8)
Rubydoo
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Rubydoo »

Mona Lisa's not the same since Mathew left.
SJ & RE
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by SJ & RE »

Where Matty gone to then.
He was a delightful young man
Mike Banks
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Mike Banks »

He left about three years ago.
He went to Porto originally, but I understand that he is now running a restaurant in the south of France with his partner.
We have continued to patronize the Mona Lisa, because we like Antonio, but it was never the same after Matt left.
SJ & RE
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by SJ & RE »

Thanks for the info.

Matty was really lovely and it would be nice to find out where in France his place is and to pop in to give him a surprise.

Mum and dad are lovely too, however we have not spent enough time to go and have a pizza there and are unlikelt too for some time.