The new Casa Algarvia

smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

The new Casa Algarvia

Post by smudger »

3 of us went last Saturday night and all agreed food was very good. Plenty of food on my and my wife's (Rack of Lamb) plate but my son felt his chicken piri-piri at A Fonte was better and more meaty. I had the Portugese Steak and it was done to my complete satfiscation, medium/rare. Bottle of House White very good value for €10. Fairly busy for early evening. Had been to previous Casa Algarvia and always wondered if new owners could match or better that experience............we'll definately be back! And since we're back over to CVO in April, probably then!! :D :D
tricky
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: The new Casa Algarvia

Post by tricky »

Went to this restaurant earlier this week and was impressed. Good Portuguese food at a reasonable price and a nice clean comfortable place. The lady who ownes it Christina also runs oasis. She is very good front of house and keeps her eye on everything. I think it will be a good place to go in winter as well
Raithstar
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Raithstar »

Never got the chance to go this visit ( couldn't see past our favorites ) but looked fairly busy every time we passed by . Will definatly try it out in sept/oct when we are back out .
Wiltsie
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Wiltsie »

My wife and I went to this restaurant last Saturday (9th).
It was ok; wouldnt put anyone off going but nothing special.
My wife had swordfish which came with a sauce but we couldnt really tell what the sauce was. My wife said she preferred the swordfish in Jota Lita.
I had a rack of lamb on a bed of onions and mushrooms which was tasty, but i found it strange that it didnt come with a sauce of some kind, like a red wine jus or similar.
We had a selection of desserts which were cakes and that was ok.
Service was good but it wasnt that busy.
Menus are a bit strange. None of the meals say what they come with so you have to ask.
All in all an OK place but i think i'd rather pay these kind of prices in Ele & Ela quite frankly.
Dont think we'll revisit when we come out in September, but yes, try it yourselves and see if you like it.
algarve123
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by algarve123 »

Wiltsie wrote:My wife and I went to this restaurant last Saturday (9th).
It was ok; wouldnt put anyone off going but nothing special.
My wife had swordfish which came with a sauce but we couldnt really tell what the sauce was. My wife said she preferred the swordfish in Jota Lita.
I had a rack of lamb on a bed of onions and mushrooms which was tasty, but i found it strange that it didnt come with a sauce of some kind, like a red wine jus or similar.
We had a selection of desserts which were cakes and that was ok.
Service was good but it wasnt that busy.
Menus are a bit strange. None of the meals say what they come with so you have to ask.
All in all an OK place but i think i'd rather pay these kind of prices in Ele & Ela quite frankly.
Dont think we'll revisit when we come out in September, but yes, try it yourselves and see if you like it.
We felt much the same as this when we ate there. It was definitely not bad but we wouldnt rush back. The standard for food in Carvoeiro is very good and there is a fair few places we would go to before going back here.
American Pie
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by American Pie »

Wife and I been going to Casa Algarvia for the last seventeen years and aprt from one year, it was always very good so we were keen to try it under the new owners. Although not particularly busy we were brought coverts without being asked if we wanted them and before we had finished the coverts, the soup arrived. As soon as we had finished the soup they took the bowls away and almost immediately, brought the main course!. For us, the service was too quick, when on holiday we treat the evening meal at a nice restaurant as a 'night out' - we arrived there at 8pm, we had finished our main course by 8.35. We didn't bother with a desert.

Regards the food, we both had the pork in mushroom sauce which was very tasty however, it was served with a bowl of chips and a side salad, who an earth would serve salad with a wet dish ie, sauce?. All the meal needed was some well-cooked veg and perhaps some mediteranian type potatoes (or similar) it would have been nice to have been given a choice as to chips or potatoes and veg etc. at no point were we asked or given a choice as it said nothing on the menu.

Conclusion;
It was ok. Will we go back on on our next visit? - unlikely which is a shame because the main course was good but we felt the owners do not really understand what alot of brits actually want from a night out at a restaurant.

PS: also, no glasses of port after you have asked for the bill (always had this before) We saw this as a small 'thankyou' by the owner for visiting their restaurant.
ncook
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by ncook »

We went there the other night and were impressed. We had the fillet stone steak and it was gorgeous! We were asked if we wanted covert, we weren't rushed, and not only did we get port with the bill, it was a decent port and a decent measure. Can't comment on dessert as we were stuffed. We would definitely go there again!
American Pie
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by American Pie »

i suspect the owner read my earlier rewiew which is no bad thing. We may try it again.
ncook
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by ncook »

I think you're probably right American Pie. I wasn't going to bother after reading the not too brilliant reviews on here, they're always good, balanced reviews. We particularly wanted a stone steak that night though, and Mrs C liked the look of CA, so we went for it. Glad we did!

If the changes were because of the reviews on here, just goes to show the power of this site!!

I would recommend giving it another go.
American Pie
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by American Pie »

ncook wrote:I think you're probably right American Pie. I wasn't going to bother after reading the not too brilliant reviews on here, they're always good, balanced reviews. We particularly wanted a stone steak that night though, and Mrs C liked the look of CA, so we went for it. Glad we did!

If the changes were because of the reviews on here, just goes to show the power of this site!!

I would recommend giving it another go.
Hope your right ncook. Based on your review, we will try Casa Algarvia again when next in CVO.
garcia11
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by garcia11 »

We ate at Casa Algarvia on Wednesday evening. The food was very good, but no complimentary port for us! Only slight complaint was that we had a table for two in front of the pillar in the left hand side of the restaurant - it was like being in a flight path with staff rushing (almost running) past on both sides, brushing against us at times, and the occasional customer drifting by. Go for a table nearer the outer walls and enjoy in peace!
ncook
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by ncook »

We went here again recently. And again, had the fillet stone steak. Gorgeous! And we got a complementary port at the end too. Some people didn't though, I noticed. I wondered if it was based on how much you spent or what you ordered?
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

Casa Algarvia is doing reasonably well under Christinas firm hand.
Sadly that is at the cost to Oasis, which was absolutely awful last time we went there.

There was no management person on duty, the waiters couldnt be bothered, and the ribs, which are usually the flagship dish there, were dry and over cooked.

Disapointing.
superbocker
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by superbocker »

As far as im aware Cristina, her husband and brother, have sold Oasis and have nothing to do with it anymore. Despite the menu remaining the same, we were very disappointed with the service and the food. As you say Bruce the ribs were a pale comparison to before. As frequent customers of Oasis and always given great service and food we wont be going back.. Maybe its time to give Casa Algarvia a go..
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

When I spoke to Christina recently, they were still running Oasis. She is running Casa Algarvia, and her husband , the Oasis.

As a personal observation, her husband never seemed to put the same amount of effort and enthusiasm into the business as Christina very obviously does.
Christas brother has left Oasis, and is now working in A Gale'.