Rascals?

pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Rascals?

Post by pato »

What's the score on this place, 30 odd years and I haven't visited the place. :(
HampshireRich
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Re: Rascals?

Post by HampshireRich »

Small, friendly, popular at times, used mainly by English tourists when I've been there. Not sure who owns it now but was an English owner last year. Snacks are good and fairly cheap and according to Bruce W a good Sunday roast. Later in the evening seems to be popular with a younger crowd than an old codger like myself (and definitely you pato) though not complaining at the sight of young bronzed (female) legs 8)

Nice to sit on the balcony in the sun but unless you are meeting someone or eating in the square there are probably just as many good bars at your side of the square to have a drink or snack and save a long walk.

Good memories for us though as my daughter's boyfriend proposed to her on the balcony last year.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

New owners took over from Barry towards the end of last season. An English family. I look forward to a more intense report soon.

Pato, over the 30 years, you have probably missed a minimum of 6 or more different bar managers - and I think it was even a small English restaurant for a short while some 15 years ago - anybody remember that ?
bruce
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by bruce »

It must be 15 years since we last went, it was run by a couple from London and they advertised authentic English home cooked steak and kidney pie, not my idea of a good meal but I went to appease my husband. It was dire a frozen pie with Bisto gravy which he couldn't eat. The husband was entertaining some 'mates' the language was offensive, we paid, left and never darkened their doorway again.
ditzy
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by ditzy »

Yes a local English family took it over earlier in the year and it really is lovely. Chris is in the kitchen and makes everything from scratch. They do a popular Fish & Chip Friday with hand-battered cod and hand-cut chips and a Sunday Roast which I'm yet to try. Adam is at the bar and does excellent cocktails, and Sandra is front of house. I think they've managed to make the interior much cosier than it was before and of course the terrace is fab. They're a lovely family and I wish them the best.
Wiltsie
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Wiltsie »

Dreadful experience here in September, one lunchtime off the beach.
A wrap with about 3 chunks of chicken in, well overpriced. Service that was almost non-existent; no welcome.
We got the impression they just think people will turn up to sit on the terrace and put up with it.
Well, we've been visiting CVO every year for 12/13 years now and we wont bother with this place again.
Jaylay
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Jaylay »

Wiltsie wrote:Dreadful experience here in September, one lunchtime off the beach.
A wrap with about 3 chunks of chicken in, well overpriced. Service that was almost non-existent; no welcome.
We got the impression they just think people will turn up to sit on the terrace and put up with it.
Well, we've been visiting CVO every year for 12/13 years now and we wont bother with this place again.
That would before the new family took it over, it certainly is a much better place now.
Think you ought to try it again, food it always lovely and the family will make you feel welcome.
Raithstar
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Raithstar »

Was in here a few times last weekend , pretty busy on Sunday afternoon with quite a few older people having Sunday roasts , looked lovely . When the chap who was doing the cooking was finished he came out of the kitchen and had a chat , I was sitting at bar having a drink , very friendly will definitely be back in April when were back out for a week .
snowbirds
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by snowbirds »

We were two of the older people having the Sunday roast! It was excellent, and we have heard good reports of the Friday fish and chips as well.
smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by smudger »

Been several times. New owners providing good food at reasonable prices. Also hosted the first "open mike" night in Carvoeiro last week. Well attended and seemed well received! They have a Facebook page which provides details of their forthcoming events and menus. Adam used to be barman at Mungos. Enjoyed chatting to Chris (when he's not cooking) and Sandra.
Gary/Gaynor
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Gary/Gaynor »

We use Rascals quite a bit especially for our "Ladies lunch " on Tuesdays (not every Tuesday) . It's family run with
Chris and Sandra doing a great job of offering up homemade food to a good standard. Before they took over it was really run into the ground now it's picked itself up and is certainly making a new name for itself. I am having my birthday there in Sept and have hired the bar for a few hours for family . Chris and Sandra are happy to suggest tasty afternoon food and drink for the occasion. Nothing is too much trouble for them and you are greeted with a warm welcome
For all those that have had a less than pleasant experience, please try them again.
:D Gaynor
"