O Gralha ( Vale Fuzelos near the Barragem)

Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

O Gralha ( Vale Fuzelos near the Barragem)

Post by Bruce Wallis »

This restaurant is one we discovered 4 years ago, whilst out walking, and it became the "must go" place to take visitors for "regional ethnic" Sunday lunch of Roast Suckling pig, or rich wild boar casserole.

It is a restaurant that was beloved by the locals who came all the way from the far side of Messines, and beyond
A place that you would need to book for, as it would be packed to the doors every Sunday, the local Portuguese feasting on the simple, but excellent food.

It came as a surprise to us, when we rolled up with 2 Australian visitors, last Sunday, to find the place virtually deserted.

We confidently ordered the usual fayre, but instead of getting a platter loaded with choice chunks of moist, steaming pork, a big bowl of fresh cooked chips, and a salad to die for, we received 4 plates with small portions of, rewarmed, dried out pork, a small plate of salad, and a few deep fried crisps on each plate.
The litre jug of lusty red wine, replaced by half a litre of barely cold sweet Vinho Verde.
We tinkered around with the food, before deciding to just get our bill and leave.....and only that because my wife vetoed us just getting up and walking out!!

When the owner came over with the bill, I asked him if he had taken the restaurant over?
He replied that he had 4 months previously....and was there a problem??

I replied that 6 months ago when we were last there, this restaurant served superb food and was always full.
Today he had only 4 other covers, and to be honest the food was awful.
What had happened??

He apologised and promised it would be better next week.

I for one wont be risking it again, unless I hear it has returned to its former, undoubted glory!
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: O Gralha ( Vale Fuzelos near the Barragem)

Post by Geoff »

We were walking in the vale de Fuzeiros on thursday and planning to eat at the Casa de Vinha , but it was closed! We either starved or went to O Grilho, knowing that it's reputation had suffered lately!

We were very pleasantly surprised. Our party of 6 finished the Wild Boar Stew which was delicious....well, Ok, could have been a tad hotter...but very meaty, tasty and succulent......served with saute potatoes on crisp bread. The charming waitress squeezed oranges on demand and offered to lay up a table outside on a gloriously sunny day. Litres of red wine aplenty.

All with covers, water, nice pudding ( a well set and chocolaty mousse) and coffee for 10€ pp incl tip.

Would go again. Not crowded, but about another ten diners.
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

Great shame..it's closed again!...but Casa da Vinha in the village is still going strong.
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

I hear its reopened, with presumably new owners...awaiting reports!