Restaurant review Sept 14

Wiltsie
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Restaurant review Sept 14

Post by Wiltsie »

Just spent 10 days in CVO - arrived back early hours this morning.

well this was our 15th visit in last 12 years.

So i'll start with the bad reviews:
O Barco - Oh dear, what's happened to this place. Only been a lunchtime favourite of ours over the years, but once again as in our short visit in June, a really disappointing experience. Prices sky high and undercooked chips. Portions noticeably smaller. Used to have about 3 or 4 lunches here/visit in previous visits, but probably struck off our list now.

Rascals - the coldest of 'welcomes' and chicken wraps that were the most awful taste and size. I worked out that the lunch would've cost them about 1.50 euro to purchase and make - charge of 13 euros. Nice mark-up! Dreadful 'hospitality'. forget the seaview - some much-needed customer service wouldn't go amiss. Avoid.

And the Positive reviews:

A Fonte - had chicken piri-piri here one lunchtime. Exellent meal, for a good value. Only downside is the service was slow, esp as there were only two other tables in at the same time. But good quality meals.

A Tasquinha, at Monte CVO. Well what a nice addition to Monte CVO. I had a lovely duck in port wine sauce with plenty of veg and saute potatoes, followed by a lovely choc fondant dessert. Good couvert as well. Decent level of service too. Certainly beats the other restaurants up there. If you go to just one restaurant in Monte CVO go to this one.

Haweli Indian - visited twice, both on Friday evenings. We like this Indian. Great food, v good value and always get a nice welcome from the guys there. chicken pakora and samosas for starters. Followed by Chicken Bhuna, spicy in addition.

Primavera - top place for pastas, pizza. Visited twice. Love the Penne Arrabiatta, with a pizza to share. Followed by the fig tart on night one and tiramasu on night 2. Good service as well, a big hi from the owner who now recognises us from previous visits.

Happy's - visited twice. a favourite of ours, as Libby makes us feel so welcome. Duck kebab on first visit. Rabbit stew on 2nd visit (by special order). Chilli for my wife on night one and swordfish on night 2. The usual copious amount of port to round the night off. Libby in great form too.

Ele & Ela. Gave this another try, after last year's service issue, although food was still good last year.
This was a superb meal. We both had the fishcakes for starters - divine. Curry for my wife as she loves it here, and i had the sticky pork ribs, which were superb. The 7.15 booking we had defo worked, and they seemed to have staggered the bookings better this year. Great service as well. A really good experience.

Jota Lita - what a little gem this place is. I've never seen such an extensive couvert. I had the Lamb steak with loads of veg, rice and chips. we shared a wonderful strawberry mousse cake with a nice jug of sangria. Great service here and v friendly owner, John, and his staff.

Bars - Round Up Saloon on karaoke nights; our regular haunt. Cocktail Garden at Monte CVO other nights. Quiet up there, but busy in Round-Up.

Tried a few different cocktail places and have to say mixed reviews.
Havana bar - 2 for 1 before 8. Weak cocktails to be honest, literally full of ice.
Bar Charly - cocktails OK.
Bar Metabixo - prob best cocktails we had for taste, strength, although not cheap.

Thought it was pretty quiet compared to previous years. Guess the Brits are spending in town, but with some of Europe still in recession, other nationalities not spending.
joeysoap
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: Restaurant review Sept 14

Post by joeysoap »

Good review Wiltsie, fair and balanced.
smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by smudger »

Interesting comments Wiltsie. Over at CVO this Saturday, hope to take my wife to Happys. I've been there couple of times and have enjoyed the experience! A Fonte is a favourite of ours. Slow service? We call it a very relaxed service :)
We've enjoyed A Tasquinha, at Monte CVO and Lagoa. Had wondered if the increase in number of tables from what they had in Lagoa would be a problem when moving to M C. Could the kitchen cope with increase? Jury out as we went to M C during lunch and very quiet!
Hope the rain has stopped by Saturday!
Wiltsie
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Wiltsie »

Smudger - i know CVO & Happys regs will know this but make sure you book in advance. Libby had to turn away walk-ins last week and ask them to book for later in the week if they still wanted to eat there.
As for Tasquinha at Monte CVO the evening we were there they had 5 tables booked and in use. I reckon about 18 covers incl ourselves. Service was pretty good, but whether they can cope with many more covers in a short period oftime i wouldn't know.
ceh
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by ceh »

We struck O Barco off the list in July when they wouldn't serve coffees when we wanted to watch the band in the square so last week we didn't bother trying . Jan's is fine but hellishly expensive for coffees at night