Villa Medici

Aldo
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Re: Villa Medici

Post by Aldo »

Think he does still own the Tapas bar. Our bottle of wine has 'Villa Medici' on the label
jonc
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by jonc »

The first Italian we visited in CVO was Via Italia, about four years ago. It was our regular Italian for a few years until we grew tired of their lack of a proper booking system and generally over-salted food.

So, we tried Villa Medici in-season and had a meal with excellent food but extremely lack-lustre service. The service so annoyed one of our party that they complained on the way out and received an apology and a bottle of wine.

Next we tried Primavera and had a good meal with good service. We made the decision that in-season the service was better at Primavera and so for the past four years we have been there in the summer and at Villa Medici for the rest of the time.

This summer, as usual we visited Primavera. The service initially was good and so was the food. However, service stopped after the main course was served. We were on the front terrace and so it was not that no one could see we were finished, or trying to attract attention. In fact, our position was such that all service for the front terrace came pretty much past our table. We wanted desserts and after 20 mins managed to get menus. After the next 20 minutes we thought - ok, coffee only. After the next 20 I got up to stand at the bar to pay. We crossed the road to Terroir for dessert and coffees.

So - each can offer bad service. After this experience at Primavera this summer, we have eaten twice at Villa Medici and both times had excellent food and service. Personally, I find that the pizzas at Villa Medici are better, pastas and desserts on par.
piggywidden93
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by piggywidden93 »

Just come back fro CVO - ate here 3 times in the fortnight, still as good as ever, food lovely, atmosphere lovely, new staff maybe not quite as friendly as old ones but still helpful and pleasant. The really friendly waiter who has been there for years is still working there in the winter but for the summer he is down at O Barco. So no complaints from us :D
biffa
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by biffa »

Decent enough meal there last weekend. 7 out of 10 I reckon. Very busy.
SarahG
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Post by SarahG »

Just had a fantastic meal at Villa Medici - both food and wine delicious and staff very friendly couldn't fault it
petejevons21
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by petejevons21 »

Had a lovely meal at Villa Medici last week - 12 of us went lovely meal great service would definitely recommend it also went to Chef Antonio for the first time again excellent food and service - large portions as well ! O Gale - brilliant as ever ! O Indianho - as good as ever can't wait to go back !!!! :D
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

First visit for 4 years last night. Primavera was closed so we elected to try Villa Medici. Pleasant decor and first impressions were promising, attentive staff, very posh menu but................then it all went wrong.

The food is really quite disappointing & I don't think that the chef is bothered enough to venture into the dining room to find out why customers complain.

A swift exit & across the road to Terroir for pudding & coffee. Very nice indeed will go again.

If you like Italian food go to La Bella Vita it's probably the best Italian restaurant in the area.
tomgibson
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by tomgibson »

Interesting comments. I have never been as I have always considered the place and menu rather pretentious and looked overly priced. You have rather confirmed my thoughts. Thanks.
Aldo
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Aldo »

We were regular visitors to Villa Medici for many years and loved the food and staff. 2 years ago there appeared to be changes. The food was not as good and the staff changed. One arrogant man who served us was rude and when the bill was presented we were overcharged for 2 desserts and a bottle of wine which were added to the bill. When the 'error' was brought to his attention he laughed! Needless to say we have not been back and much prefer Primavera.
Surprised Primavera was closed, never been known!