Villa Medici

sanreen
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Villa Medici

Post by sanreen »

Very disappointed in Villa Medici. After recommending it to my daughter and son in law they have been twice to the restaurant during their holiday. The first meal they had she said that they possibly made the wrong choice (cannot remember what they ordered) and gave it another try a couple of days ago. They both ordered starters, bruschetta and parma ham with melon. Main courses of pizza and a pasta dish with diced fillet steak with chill, this on the recommendation of my husband. Their main courses were brought to the table before they had their starters, after advising the staff that they had ordered starters they were told they would need to have them both together!!! As they were cold starters they said ok. The main courses were well below standard. The pizza was overdone and the chilli beef was over seasoned. They ate what they could of the meal and complained to the waiter. He apologized and said that they would deduct their drinks from the bill, a bottle of water and coke. They will never return. Looks like another restaurant not coping in high season.
Wiltsie
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Re: Villa Medici

Post by Wiltsie »

We much prefer next door, Primevera. The owner there used to run Villa Medici.
Primevera pizzas and pastas are top notch imo.
Aldo
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Aldo »

We have used Villa Medici since it opened and it was always one of our favourites
The last time we went was in may when we were very disappointed. The food was well below standard, the service was non existent and there appeared to be a number of new staff. The bill arrived and they had added to puds on and overcharged in another area (think drinks). When this was pointed out, there was a shrug and indifference
We vote with our feet and have not returned.
Fortunately, Primavera continues to serve great food, with excellent service
tricky
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by tricky »

I agree. It used to genome if our regular haunts especially in winter but the last time we went I had risotto which was awful. It's a million miles away from Italia restaurant in ferragudo. It's a shame because the staff are nice and the fire is lovely in winter
hedley
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by hedley »

Your lucky you even got to eat.

I haven't been for years as I prefer next door and have followed the owner/staff to Primavera

However last year we thought we would revisit for old times sake.

I pre booked a specific table at the front for 8.30 pm (in person) 3 days in advance.

Due to the usual parking issues we arrived at 8.35 and waited for approx 5 minutes in the inside reception area doorway to grab someone's attention. Our table was not laid.

At 8.40 before my very eyes the manager ushered another family to our table and when I politely confronted him he shrugged his shoulders and said they thought we were not coming so had offered the table to someone else :evil:

They had my phone number as well!!

On principle they will not be getting any more business from me.

It spoilt the last night of the holiday.

To make matters worse the only table we could find at all anywhere (it was mid July) was on the terrace above the tapas bar overlooking the town square. The food and service were very good and the staff very helpful,but on reading between the lines I think it is part owned by Villa Medici as well. So they got my euros anyway in a roundabout way lol

We arrive on Friday, first night already booked for Primavera :)
BarryTodd
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by BarryTodd »

It's a funny old world! We went to Villa Medici last night and had a wonderful evening. Even though the place was full we had charming, attentive and very efficient staff looking after us, and a lovely meal cooked to perfection. We have been going there regularly since it opened and have never had a bad experience.

We also always go next door to Primavera and I think it is probably slightly better, but in my opinion only because they always have a good selection of fresh fish and shellfish.
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

Best Italian restaurant in the area, by a country mile??
La Bella Vita, at Clube Atlantico, just beyond Centiannes.
BarryTodd
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by BarryTodd »

Bruce Wallis wrote:Best Italian restaurant in the area, by a country mile??

Of course it is, we've been going there for many, many years :D
sam
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by sam »

Went to Medici once in its early days. Never again. Went to Primavera last year for first time. Food was good, service a bit hit and miss and it felt very pretentious. Prefer across the road at A Rede and Vimar.
Our youngest son is vegetarian and his staple diet is pasta and pizza. Now he's not with us we can eat at places other than Italian. :D
hedley
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by hedley »

BarryTodd wrote:It's a funny old world! We went to Villa Medici last night and had a wonderful evening. Even though the place was full we had charming, attentive and very efficient staff looking after us, and a lovely meal cooked to perfection. We have been going there regularly since it opened and have never had a bad experience.

We also always go next door to Primavera and I think it is probably slightly better, but in my opinion only because they always have a good selection of fresh fish and shellfish.

I quite agree.

I have too had many a nice meal there before the change in management a few years back. I'm sure it is just as good now ?
If you pick your spot it certainly is a nice place to be for a few hours.

Alas I was not given the chance :(
hedley
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by hedley »

Bruce Wallis wrote:Best Italian restaurant in the area, by a country mile??
Granted it is a nice restaurant,they do what they do well and have a loyal customer base.

A bit like being transported back in time for me though :mrgreen:
piggywidden93
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by piggywidden93 »

this is our favourite restaurant and we go back year after year, in fact we have just booked from england to go next week when we are over, hope it hasnt gone down hill (sorry for the pun) as the settling and food have always been lovely :cry:
hedley
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by hedley »

piggywidden93 wrote:this is our favourite restaurant and we go back year after year, in fact we have just booked from england to go next week when we are over, hope it hasnt gone down hill (sorry for the pun) as the settling and food have always been lovely :cry:
I am sure you will enjoy it.

Just don't be 5 minutes late :roll: they may auction your table off to the highest bidder. :lol:
fmm
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by fmm »

A colleague used my apartment in July, and was told that the owners of Villa Medici are the same as those who own Primavera and also the new WIne Bar opposite (Terroir) - as well as somewhere in the main town.

Is this true?
Jaylay
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Jaylay »

fmm wrote:A colleague used my apartment in July, and was told that the owners of Villa Medici are the same as those who own Primavera and also the new WIne Bar opposite (Terroir) - as well as somewhere in the main town.

Is this true?
No its not, The owner of Primavera used to run Villa Medici then set his own restuarant up in direct competition.

He (The owner of Primavera ) is also a partner in Terroir.

The owner of Medici used to also own the Tapas bar on the left side of the beach, not sure if he still does.