May Visit Restaurant Reviews

jimmyp
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

May Visit Restaurant Reviews

Post by jimmyp »

Thought I would post a few reviews of meals on recent visit - Think I will light the touchpaper and step back for responses on some judging on previous reviews but heyho! :D

O Farol, Rocha Brava - Excellent couvert (includes small pickled fish which are delicious). All soups sampled (french onion, tomato, vegetable) very good, For me their chicken breast piri piri is the best around. Friendly and good speed of service from the usual staff.
Jardim O Farol - good variety of starters, all very tasty (prawn cocktail a highlight for my wife and tomato soup a real winner with son ) on first visit shared Turbot with my wife and that was superb and not too expensive. Pizzas are all very good - Second visit was rather slow and given it was one of the cooler evenings and we started outside that was unwelcome but wouldnt put us off.
Rochamar - I know this place splits opinions but I must say I find the food here excellent. The couvert with the spiced sausage is a real winner, the fish soup is for me the best around (since the demise of the original Pescador in Benagil) and personally I think the prawn rice on the main course is one of the best value dishes around. 10.50€ for a good sized bowl filled with prawns in a lovely sauce.
Tia Ilda - Like the new downstairs room with the big picture windows - However chose to eat upstairs with the view - Service was a little slow even though the terrace was only half full. Chicken livers to start are still a favourite but the rest of the meal was only ok. As it turned out to be the most expensive meal we ate whilst we were there it is only my wife's love of their lasagne that would take me back. Also think the rebuild of the upper terrace has taken something away from the "charm" of the place.
Ele and Ela - Like the refit and the menu remains one of the best in the village for me. Same base of dishes with a few new additions which I think is a great way to refresh without losing a good reputation. Only complaint, for the final visit at the end of a lot of gastronomy simply couldnt finish the plate of ribs!
Via Italia - Havent been here for almost 10 years but was really pleasantly surprised. Wonderful welcome and service from the Italian owner ( I assume he is the owner who has so split opinions in the past!). Best minestrone soup I have eaten in a long time, and that includes in Italy for the last 4 years. Pizza carbonara was very tasty. Will definitely be going back there again.
Primavera - This is turning into a very fine restaurant. The setting, decor, atmosphere and service are very good and the food is exceptional. The octopus capacchio is a real winner and having taken the recommendation of the owner the spaghetti vongolle with fresh Alvor clams was outstanding. Both wife and son raved over their pasta dishes as well.

I feel full up again from having just written that! Hope it is of some interest

J
jimmyp
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Re: May Visit Restaurant Reviews

Post by jimmyp »

If any of the mods read this they are within their rights to call me an idiot and move the post to the correct restaurant review section!! :D
cumbria sue
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: May Visit Restaurant Reviews

Post by cumbria sue »

:lol: :lol: :lol: ...very good review have been to most of them and enjoyed them