Wolf Restaurant

griff61
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Wolf Restaurant

Post by griff61 »

Former Black Stove

Reviews on trip advisor vary from great food to poor, expensive to good value.
Has anyone eaten there and how was it, will be out soon so was thinking of calling in.
Graham
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: Wolf Restaurant

Post by Graham »

If it is the Wolf brothers (and their now deceased father) that used to run the restaurant at Monte Carvoeiro and then moved to somewhere near Albufeira then I expect the food will be very good. Looking forward to feedback on this one!
Jaylay
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Jaylay »

Graham wrote:If it is the Wolf brothers (and their now deceased father) that used to run the restaurant at Monte Carvoeiro and then moved to somewhere near Albufeira then I expect the food will be very good. Looking forward to feedback on this one!
It has nothing to do with the German family who used to have restaurants in the area.
pickwick
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by pickwick »

The Wolf

Tried it out last night and had a fantastic meal. The USA Black Angus rib eye was delicious, cooked perfectly, medium rare as ordered and the best rib eye I have had in Portugal or Spain. My wife had the Black Angus fillet and it too was 1st class and cooked to perfection. The table service in both the upstairs outside bar area and the restaurant was speedy and professional. The bill with pre-dinner drinks, two mains and sides, a bottle of Quinta do Portal, a bottle of water and two affogatos to finish came to 90€. Great value for money and all the other up market restaurants will need to up their game to compete.

Congratulations Andre.

Pickwick
Last edited by pickwick on Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farol
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Farol »

At €90 for two with no mention of starters or covers and just affogatos covering desserts and coffee this seems expensive for restaurant hill. I can't see a stream of tourist beating a route to their door at that price.
Ann-Marie
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Ann-Marie »

My parents and other family tried it out last month. They did comment that the food was outstanding , but it was very expensive. My parents spend a lot of time in Carvoeiro, so try and keep to a sensible budget, so even though it is well worth a visit, perhaps just not a place to be going regularly x
pickwick
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by pickwick »

Farol

Think quality not quantity. Wolf could hold its own against Gaucho in London where a rib-eye will cost you £24 and a filet £35 so that is 73€ before drinks, wine and coffee/sweet!! The restaurant offers really good value for money. In Portal Restaurant, London, a bottle of Quinta do Portal Colheita Branco will cost you £31 (38€) so before the pre dinner drinks, water and affogatos you would have spent 111€ in London!!! I suspect if you add on a premium beer, a glass of Portuguese fizz, side salad, french fries, water and sweet you would not get change out of 160€ in London for the same meal/drinks.

Good not cheap, cheap not good. The restaurant was nearly full last night at 20:30 with at least 60 diners so I think they will do very well in the height of the season. Not everyone is after typical restaurant hill fare!!!

I think they will be buzzing in summer - we shall see??!!??

Pickwick
Farol
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Farol »

How many Portuguese could afford to eat there regularly at those prices?

How many tourist could afford to eat there more than once during their stay?

Is there a lack of choice of other good quality restaurants?

I was not saying it was unreasonably priced for what they served nor that it doesn't compare to what you would pay in a similar quality establishment elsewhere. I am saying that they have positioned themselves into a restricted market.
ras
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Post by ras »

Eight of us had a meal there last week. Steaks were brilliant everything else was rubbish.