Worst meal in Carvoeiro?

DaveK
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Re: Worst meal in Carvoeiro?

Post by DaveK »

fmm, how was your experience at Ele & Ela recently? We have not been for a few years although we used to be regulars when Kim was there. We are quite happy to give it another go. Worst place we have been to for service is Julios. Pretentious or what!
kaj
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by kaj »

Just returned from Carvoeiro and have to say worst meal was in Ele and Ela.
Booked four days in advance as been before and very popular restaurant with good food however this time a real difference. Two of our parties choices were sold out which was a real shame as one of the dishes was a vegatarian meal and the reason we choose Ele and Ela.
Arrived at 9 for second sitting and table not ready for 5 to 10 mins so headed across road for a drink not wishing to queue on the pavement. On our return the restaurant was full and the table we were allocated meant that I was seated in the entrance to the flats above the restaurant. If the sides on the restaurant had been lowered I would not have been in the Restaurant at all.
Two of our starters were lightly fried mushrooms were absolutely crucified and tasted burnt and when waiter asked if I had enjoyed them and I said no he just smiled at me and walked off. Black pork smothered in some undiscribable tasting sauce which was not on the menu as in a sauce. We were a table of 6 but our food was brought to the table not altogether but along with meals for other tables.
Will we go again not sure, maybe not August again and certainly not when there are 2 sittings.
Wiltsie
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Wiltsie »

We quite like Ele & Ela but last Sept we were at the 7.30 sitting and had a similar experience.
It was 9.15 before we received our main course and by then the 9.00 sitting were arriving.
We had people stood almost on top of us waiting for their table.
I had planned to have a dessert but we decided to leave once we had paid.

It's quite simple - they try to accomodate too many covers each sitting. They should reduce each sitting by 8 or so covers imo.
It's cramped in there anyway, plus this waiting issue always occurs.

We like the food and when they're not quite so busy we love it.

Arriving next Thursday late evening for 10 days - not sure if we'll chance Ele & Ela to be honest. We'll see.
fmm
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by fmm »

DaveK wrote:fmm, how was your experience at Ele & Ela recently? We have not been for a few years although we used to be regulars when Kim was there. We are quite happy to give it another go. Worst place we have been to for service is Julios. Pretentious or what!
Actually, we chickened out and cancelled and booked Maximes instead! Had a superb meal and were extremely happy with the decision :D
PaulGoode
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by PaulGoode »

Speaking from personal experience, we have always had fantastic meals at Ele and Ela's over many years. We do visit out of the main season and get a table in the main part of the restaurant and we have always found the service and food to be exemplary. Cannot say we have ever had a terrible meal in over 20 years in any restaurant but we do not stray away from our favourites, being the aforementioned Ele and Ela's, Happy's, Jota Lita and Casa Algarvia. We will be back on the 22/9 for 11 days, cannot wait!
petejevons21
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by petejevons21 »

Didn't go myself but my vegetarian daughter went to Villa Italia with 3 others and said it was the best meal she had had ! We rated O Indiano Vila Medici Chef Antonio O Gale Oasis and pizza california struggle to find a bad meal to be honest can't wait to go back !