Worst meal in Carvoeiro?

dj sull
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Worst meal in Carvoeiro?

Post by dj sull »

What is the worst meal you've had in Carvoeiro and why? I'm not just talking about poor quality food; it could be bad service, atmosphere, wrong company or some other reason. Mine would have to be A Fonte. The food was decent but the ambience was tense and the waitress was the rudest I've encountered anywhere in the world. So what's yours?
SJ & RE
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: Worst meal in Carvoeiro?

Post by SJ & RE »

Can honestly say we have never had a bad meal in CVO.

However worst meal ever was at Palmeras Golf club a few years back where the staff were rude, pigheaded,insolent and totally ignored a female on their own, moreover the golfers themselves were just as bad and pushed pass me and got their food and drinks and left me standing pushed aside. I never got food and only when husband was back after his round of golf did they serve us when he ordered and even then it was horrid.
I think I ranted about this b4 when it happened to me and it still wrankles me, I shall NEVER go back there, despite I hear it is better now.
laserblazer
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by laserblazer »

I had a pretty horrid chicken and mash the other day. Mind you, I cooked it!
Janet O
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Janet O »

Chico's for me....the worst pepper sauce I have ever had..and the strangest colour
tricky
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by tricky »

laserblazer wrote:I had a pretty horrid chicken and mash the other day. Mind you, I cooked it!
Ha....,
Sandy
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Sandy »

O Patio. The worst Caesar salad ever and ridiculously expensive to boot.
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

The Italian restaurant at the bottom of Restaurant hill, overlooking the taxi rank.
So disgusting that we walked out.

THATS IT.....VIA ITALIA!!!!

Avoid at all costs!!!!
Last edited by Bruce Wallis on Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary/Gaynor
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Gary/Gaynor »

two resturants come to mind A Fonte and the Italian resturant up on a hill overlooking the taxis is it Via Italia or something. We ate there 10 years ago when we were over buying furnature for our apartment. God it was bad, steak like ol boots, cold miserable veg ugh...never went back. A Fonte served us Portuguese Fish rice with hardley any fish just a few bits floating around in fish stock and served by a very disgruntled waitress.
We now tend to eat out of town mostly on a Sunday afternoon at O' Barril in Ferragudo, Ma Ja's, Happy's, and a couple of others out of town. We tend to like to explore new resturant these days.
Gaynor
tricky
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by tricky »

Like gaynor/Gary. We prefer to eat out of town. Ferragudo, guia etc. The only places we go to in Carvoeiro tend to be Vila Medici for its fire in winter and very large glasses of house red! And happy's for a laugh with libbe. Looking forward though to trying the new la tasquina at monte Carvoeiro though. The worst meal we have had is also at via Italia. Followed very closely by a disaster at taste!
sunman
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by sunman »

Bruce Wallis wrote:The Italian restaurant at the bottom of Restaurant hill, overlooking the taxi rank.
So disgusting that we walked out.

THATS IT.....VIA ITALIA!!!!

Avoid at all costs!!!!
just to put some balance on this page, we've had some of our best meals in Via Italia 8)
tricky
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by tricky »

I hope that is recently sunman. As it was appalling a few years ago. Has it improved?
sunman
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by sunman »

tricky wrote:I hope that is recently sunman. As it was appalling a few years ago. Has it improved?
well, to give it some perspective; we lived in Carvoeiro for 11 years, mid 2000 to mid 2012, we had the luxury of enjoying the restaurants out of season.
we avoided the town centre like the plague in the summer holidays as most restaurants operated one waiter short rather than long & not many of them are at their best when packed; with one obvious exception, Libbe in Happy's, who can feed 44 people at the same time out of a kitchen the size of a phone box.

so, aware that Via Italia attracted mixed opinions to say the least and that they struggled to cope in the summer we went a lot, early and late in the season for many years & got to know the owner & staff; and they looked after us, I mentioned in the other thread that we ate 'off piste' & took their recommendations for food & wine specials, and I can honestly say that we always enjoyed them and never had a bad meal.

BUT, I'm aware that other folk had bad experiences & wouldn't take argument with them, just wanted to balance it up a bit given our own experiences.
Farol
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Farol »

The worst meal we have had was not in CVO but in Ferragudo at Portarade.

We went there with my son and daughter-in-law for a special meal and boy was it special.

The wrong wine was brought out and then when the right wine came it was warm and served by a young lad that didn't have a clue.

The main courses were unbelievably brought out before the starters had even been served.

After we had eventually had the starters when the mains came back they had not been re-cooked fresh. I had ordered gammon hock in a mustard sauce. Both the gammon and the sauce were stone cold and I mean really cold such as you would get with food not prepared to order. It was sent back but the replacement was ages coming meaning that we all eat at different times.

Because it was meant to be a special family evening we tried not to make a fuss and although the bill was reduced we unfortunately left without filling in the complaints book.

Needless to say we have not been back since, which is a shame given our proximity to them and our frequency of travel. The good news is the other great restaurants in Ferragudo give us ample alternatives.
charles hewitt
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by charles hewitt »

We ate at Portarade on Monday - the 9,50 e menu and it was extremely good. My wife's Sea Food rice was stunning. Just shows that almost every restaurant can have good days and bad days!
roy4eyes
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by roy4eyes »

We eat at Portarade on average twice a month and have never had bad food or service.

On the other hand my two worst meals - tough meat, 'corked' wine and rude service from the owner/chef were at Ele e Ela which many people rave about.

It just goes to show that you cannot please all the people all the time !!