Rei das Praias

widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Rei das Praias

Post by widge »

Been twice with friends in last 6 weeks & something has changed and it's not like it used to be. Prices are up & they were already high, staff ,who we know, appear distracted & unhappy & the food is only OK not fantastic. Anyone else had this experience ? :?
sue2215
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Re: Rei das Praias

Post by sue2215 »

We went there for the first time several months ago and experienced the same then. One of few restaurants we haven't returned to, shame as the location is superb.
charles hewitt
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by charles hewitt »

Identical experiences. To the extent, we avoid the place. For a far better experience try Sao Roque at Meia Praia Lagos.
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

Perhaps the owners are focussing on the hotel which is very popular with those where price is not an issue.
bruce
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by bruce »

Which hotel is this?
Price is not an issue to me but I do expect the service and food not to be an issue either!
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

They call it a "guest house" not hotel..... I have heard some excellent reviews, but never visited:
http://casareidaspraias.com/en.html
roy4eyes
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by roy4eyes »

We have stayed at Casa Rei das Praias and it is certainly very up-market and 5* furnishing and fittings, indoor and outdoor pools, gym, therapy centre and wide selection of top quality wines.

Rooms top quality (007 has a moonlight and stars viewing window !!) and every facility to a high standard. Half board was to eat in the beach restaurant with transport included and champagne and superior beach beds/umbrellas included.

All this does come at a price - but there are special winter offers advertised at the restaurant.

Having said that we do agree with comments about the food - prices up and quality down on our last visit - but knowing Luis reads CVO.com hope this is merely a tempoary blip.
margaretm
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by margaretm »

We went to this restaurant for the first time in October last year, and although we are frequent visitors to Carvoeiro it is one restaurant we are in no rush to return to. The staff were indifferent and the food nothing special. I was very disappointed as I thought it would be a lovely experience to eat there. Not being regulars we did not expect to get the best table but to be sitting right next to the ever opening door into the smoking area it was not much fun !
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

roy4eyes wrote:Having said that we do agree with comments about the food - prices up and quality down on our last visit - but knowing Luis reads CVO.com hope this is merely a tempoary blip.
Can't agree more Roy, I wonder if they are all tired following a busy summer? We're back in 3 weeks so may give it another try.
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

We have a friend who raves about this place.
We've been twice and found it very expensive, and not particularly good compared to similar priced restaurants in the area.
I think you pay alot more for the view, than it's worth.
tricky
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by tricky »

We used to be regular visitors to this restaurant, but not eaten there in ages, however, the bar outside is really good and sitting on the comfy chairs on the beach drinking prosecco and watching the sunset, can't be beaten. Luis the owner (son) is a great host and the opening party for the guest house was spectacular. The recently opened shop selling wine etc in Ferragudo is supposed to be good value as well.
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

tricky wrote:We used to be regular visitors to this restaurant, but not eaten there in ages, however, the bar outside is really good and sitting on the comfy chairs on the beach drinking prosecco and watching the sunset, can't be beaten. Luis the owner (son) is a great host and the opening party for the guest house was spectacular. The recently opened shop selling wine etc in Ferragudo is supposed to be good value as well.
Can we de-code that as " I think it's over-priced, and gone off" as well ?? :D
tricky
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by tricky »

No you can't Brucie, and to prove it, you can take us there next week :D
pickwick
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by pickwick »

Hi All

I did have an issue or two or three on my last visit (staying the night on a package with dinner and transport included). There was no transport available for the return and a petulant, surly attitude when leaving (the waiter would not accept that he should transfer the bill to the Hotel). I have been a regular visitor over many years and did not appreciate being challenged in that manner by a waiter and frankly I was not minded to discuss it with him and told him so in no uncertain terms. I also took back the 25€ cash tip which I know he saw.

I was not happy at all so demanded the presence of Luis when back at the hotel (I had to call a taxi for the short hop!!!). He is a great host and was very charming but the fact remains that NONE of the issues should have happened at all and I told him so. I concluded at the time that something was far, far wrong and we have not been back.

Eye off the ball me thinks? This often happens when restaurants reach a pinnacle and if Luis is not careful it will be a very fast bobsleigh ride to the bottom of the hill. He needs to sit back and take a long hard look at what has gone wrong and put it right PRONTO. Their motto is "invest in quality and guarantee the future" - he needs to do that NOW or there will not be a future. To read that so many people are not happy is sad for what was (and still can be) a great restaurant and business.

Pickwick
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

pickwick wrote: did not appreciate being challenged in that manner by a waiter and frankly I was not minded to discuss it with him and told him so in no uncertain terms. I also took back the 25€ cash tip which I know he saw.

I was not happy at all so demanded the presence of Luis when back at the hotel

Pickwick
I have heard about self important people being as arrogant as this. Is this guy for real??