ONZE

Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

ONZE

Post by Bruce Wallis »

We went to ONZE, near the GNR station above the main square, the other night.

In a way it's a little out of place in Carvoeiro. Mediteranean style food, slightly Greeky. Modern decor that seems more London than Algarve....BUT.....excellent!

Good, well prepared and served food. A fairly small menu, which means that everything is freshly cooked....and you can tell.

Try it...I dont think ONZE will disappoint!
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: ONZE

Post by alf1956 »

i have been a couple of times&found the food good,the service good&the staff friendly
tricky
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by tricky »

We went when it first opened, and whilst the food was good, the portions were really small. The staff were a bit hit and miss too.
However, knowing what a fussy (okay perfectionist) eater, Bruce is, I will definitely give it another go, it has obviously improved.
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

tricky wrote:We went when it first opened, and whilst the food was good, the portions were really small. The staff were a bit hit and miss too.
However, knowing what a fussy (okay perfectionist) eater, Bruce is, I will definitely give it another go, it has obviously improved.
Is that what they call a "back-handed compliment", Tricky? :D
tricky
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by tricky »

I've never been able to play Tennis Bruce, you should know that :D
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

tricky wrote:I've never been able to play Tennis Bruce, you should know that :D
I know that....but I'm sure you have other ball skills 8)
tricky
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by tricky »

:wink:
pickwick
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by pickwick »

See post from the summer!!!

Re: Onze
by pickwick » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:11 am

This restaurant is doomed to fail I believe. We had a confirmed reservation for three on Wednesday for an outside table at 8pm. On arrival they said we could only sit inside!! I spoke with both the young "owners" but despite having been there several times and them knowing we live here they would not give us any of the vacant tables on the terrace. You can be assured I told them in no uncertain terms that I will never return. Are they really so stupid thinking they can treat locals like this and survive when the tourists are gone?? Anyway we went to Primavera and had a better meal (we only booked Onze so my 11 year old son could go to the beach and listen to the music whilst we had coffee etc).

Give Onze a miss they do not deserve your custom!!!

Pickwick
tricky
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by tricky »

Ever heard of second chances Pickwick? Restaurants can learn from their mistakes!!
Aldo
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Aldo »

Onze appears to be good enough for Mary Berry!!
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

pickwick wrote:See post from the summer!!!

by pickwick » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:11 am

This restaurant is doomed to fail I believe. We had a confirmed reservation for three on Wednesday for an outside table at 8pm. On arrival they said we could only sit inside!! I spoke with both the young "owners" but despite having been there several times and them knowing we live here they would not give us any of the vacant tables on the terrace. You can be assured I told them in no uncertain terms that I will never return. Are they really so stupid thinking they can treat locals like this and survive when the tourists are gone?? Anyway we went to Primavera and had a better meal (we only booked Onze so my 11 year old son could go to the beach and listen to the music whilst we had coffee etc).

Give Onze a miss they do not deserve your custom!!!

Pickwick
This must be correct, coming as it does from the most forgiving, fairminded, and generous spirited man in the Algarve 8)
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

Still in business 16 months later and seemingly satisfying their customers !!
pickwick
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by pickwick »

This must be correct, coming as it does from the most forgiving, fairminded, and generous spirited man in the Algarve
Yawn. Get a life!!
pickwick
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by pickwick »

See comments from last summer on this very Forum !

by kelly » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:40 pm

we went last year and it was lovely. we went last night and it was quite busy but it was awful!!! We sat down at 8.15 didnt get bread for half an hour and didnt get our mains until 9.50 and the food was good but wasnt worth that wait. we didnt get any apologies for the wait or anything. we will never go there again.kelly
CVO Senior

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by mrs-b » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:39 am

Oh dear! That doesn't sound too good!

They obviously have some serious timing issues going on - which is a shame because it potentially has so much going for it.mrs-b
CVO Regular

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by hedley » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:27 pm

We went last year and it was exactly the same.The waiting was unnacceptable,the food was above average but not worth the wait.

There was no flow to the evening and everyone around was talking about the poor service etc rather than just ejoying the restaurant and its surroundings/setting which is a shame.

I will be arriving on Thursday and was thinking of giving them a second chance but it seems that the teething problems may still be apparent.hedley
CVO Regular

by Gary/Gaynor » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:21 pm

Obviously management happy to take your money but no time or effort has gone in to either training their staff to a competent level or better still taking on experiences waiting staff. Very sad as it's a great location. When will restaurants learn that you have to stay ahead of the game to keep existing business and attract new business.
GaynorGary/Gaynor
CVO Legend

by e-richard » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:50 pm

I went last week and had an awful Cod which came after a very long wait. Decided against complaining as I did not fancy waiting another hour for any replacement.

But when we left at about 8.30 on a Monday, the outside Patio was full, with lots of diners "spilling over" inside.

Gary/Gaynor wrote:
...When will restaurants learn that you have to stay ahead of the game to keep existing business and attract new business. Gaynor
It seems you just need a great location to attract business. Food and service are irrelevant - and often, so is price e-richard
CVO Legend

EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

Pickwick seems very happy to quote reports from 2011 which at the time were probably correct howver that was 15 MONTHS AGO!!.
Pickwick it is possible it could have improved ??