Breakfast

gernee
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Breakfast

Post by gernee »

Hi folks,
We are 8 guys coming to Carvoeiro to play golf in November, could anyone recommend somewhere for a hearty breakfast?
Gerry
Craig
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: Breakfast

Post by Craig »

Hi Gerry,

I hear good things of Bar72 on the outroad. Enjoy,

Craig
bruce
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by bruce »

Irish Times is good for breakfast.
chaucer
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by chaucer »

Jomar on the in road, just by the cut through, do a great breakfast
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

i agree with the earlier post for bar 72 really good size breakfasts & the toasties are huge !!
Craig
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Craig »

Hi alf1956,

Have you seen the size of the Sunday lunch in Bar72 ? Massive !

Craig
gernee
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by gernee »

Thank you for your suggestions, I like the sound of Bar 72, when your 8 lads going out to do battle on the golf course it's most important that you start of with a full stomach.
Gerry
sunman
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by sunman »

you'll probably find that most of the golf clubs you'll be playing at serve a good breakfast on site.
gernee
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by gernee »

Hi Sunman, they probably do but at what price? the golf clubs still don't realize that there is something going on in the world called a recession, when seeking golf rates for 8 people for 3 days I was offered a small discount and a attitude if you don't like it go away. A lot of the golf clubs are very quiet at times but they still can't see that you will not sell yesterdays round tomorrow and I hear their bar receipts are well down but I don't see any offers to attract people into the bars, for instance at the Pinecliffs 9 hole course you could pay 7/8 Euros for a large beer!!!!!
In Florida you can have a bacon sandwich, round of golf on a fine course and a meal afterwards for 25/30 dollars, im sure they are just doing it to keep the course open until such times that the economy improves but in Portugal it seems they would rather let the course close than offer a good deal, if you walk into one of the Pestana courses and wanted a round they will ask you 120 Euros approx and they are not the most expensive. There is no doubt that the courses in Portugal are fairly well kept and it has the sunshine but in this changing world people are not fools for long they will vote with their feet.
Sorry about the long rant but I just can't understand their thinking.
Gerry
sunman
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by sunman »

wow, sounds like you're really looking forward to your trip :)

picking the pieces apart; the Golf courses have all just been hit with massive retrospective IVA (VAT) bills, I forget the exact rates but leisure industry IVA stood at 6% for years and was recently spiked to 23% with the added sting that it was retrospective to last January so many courses have bills they simply can't pay, a big problem.

I have to agree with you that it can be a bit of a Portuguese habit to raise prices in an effort to attract more money, which of course fails, but if you look around and maybe google 'Algarve golf discounts' you'll find a lot of brokers with good rates. Morgado, I know in particular are doing all sorts of discount deals.

Not that I'd admit to this in public but if you want a really good value breakfast you might wander into the Almansor hotel & get stuck in, I've met friends there & am yet to be asked what room I'm staying in whilst chewing on some lovely scrambled eggs & bacon 8)
SAM SPARKLE
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by SAM SPARKLE »

Hi Gerry,

check out Richard Ballington's site for discounted golf, he is based in the Carvoeiro area.

http://www.algarve-golf.co.uk/
gernee
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by gernee »

Maybe it might have been a good idea to remove the IVA altogether and in doing so attract more golfers who would in turn stay in more hotels and consume more Food, drink and in general bring more money to the Algarve, but this would have worked and we couldn't have that, look at the tolls on the A22, NEED i SAY MORE?
I be in the Algarve maybe once a month and believe it or not I love being there but the powers that be really need to stand back and have a look at the whole way of thinking , you know and I know it will never happen.
G.
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

It's a sad fact that the the Portuguese central government appear to have an "Anti-Algarve" bias.

The representatives of the Camaras and the regional government, present arguments, alternative strategies and a mountain of lobbying to Lisbon, and it all seems to fall on deaf ears.

To all of us that love this country, it sad to watch how central government seems to be incapable of recognizing just how important the Algarve is to the national economy, coming forward with a succession of legislations which potentially damage the Algarve tourism industry, yet will extract all they can from the region to support the national coffers.

This doesnt even seem to be a Cameron verses Millibrand, political who is right or wrong in economic policies....it seems to be a central government mindset.
joeysoap
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by joeysoap »

So a request for a place serving good breakfast winds up with a mention of Cameron and Millbrand (and all things in between) :roll:
gernee
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by gernee »

Now that we have our golf, breakfast and the Portuguese government sorted not to forget about Cameron and Millbrand, Can I take it there is not much entertainment wise going on in Carvoeiro ?

Gerry