O Stop

Aldo
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

O Stop

Post by Aldo »

Very under rated.
Amazing location with friendly service and excellent food
It's not possible to get closer to the sea! The sunset is superb to watch and the sound of the ocean lapping on the rocks makes this a venue restaurant. Maybe it does not have the boutique feel of Rei Das Praias but neither does it have the inflated prices, what it does have is the ambiance and atmosphere
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: O Stop

Post by EMM »

Aldo wrote:Very under rated.
Amazing location with friendly service and excellent food
It's not possible to get closer to the sea! The sunset is superb to watch and the sound of the ocean lapping on the rocks makes this a venue restaurant. Maybe it does not have the boutique feel of Rei Das Praias but neither does it have the inflated prices, what it does have is the ambiance and atmosphere

ALDO linking this ( your ) posting to the Barco thread you MENTIONED price in your comparisons with Rei Das Praias when you praised this and Barco in particular the latters Bass.
My question is simply was it fresh wild fish or not. The price will confirm one way or the other

My opinions on the provenance of food we buy are just that " personal opinions " , just as a restaurant review is just that of the reviewer. But in my opinion any reviewer should be prepared to answer questions relating to their experience otherwise how valid is their review.
Remember the rascals thread.
The provenance of the food served is not subjective it is fact and although it may not matter to some it does to others.
Aldo
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Aldo »

Nobody asked you, I am entitled to my opinion and people like you spoil the forum and take the enjoyment out of CVO
What joy do you get out of your nasty and superior attitude?
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

So your views and opinions are beyond comment and should be accepted as gospel by anyone reading this forum. !!!

Your reluctance to answer a simple question speaks volumes.
bruce
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by bruce »

Aldo wrote:Nobody asked you, I am entitled to my opinion and people like you spoil the forum and take the enjoyment out of CVO
Aldo I find your restaurant reviews excellent, please ignore those who think they are superior to the rest of us mere mortals.
I have eaten in some of the best restaurants in the world and I have never known such inverted snobbery.
cumbria sue
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by cumbria sue »

bruce wrote:
Aldo wrote:Nobody asked you, I am entitled to my opinion and people like you spoil the forum and take the enjoyment out of CVO
Aldo I find your restaurant reviews excellent, please ignore those who think they are superior to the rest of us mere mortals.
I have eaten in some of the best restaurants in the world and I have never known such inverted snobbery.
couldn't agree more sue :roll:
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

What a load of tosh.
I buy and eat farmed fish and framed frozen prawns to cook and eat at home.
I know that there is a 90% chance that the prawns I am served in most restaurants be it in the UK or Portugal are de frosted or chilled and have more airmiles than the Beckhams
I also know that unless I go to a certain premium price restaurants that the fish from certain species will be farmed or frozen.
But then I am interested and concerned about the scource of the food I eat.

Reviews should be accurate and reviewers answer questions or what is the point of having a review section.

Now if Aldo in his reviews had said something along the lines of " I chose the prawns and sea bass, the square in Carvoeiro might have been the closest either ingredient had got to the sea in Portugal but they were well cooked and delicious . . The bill for the night was XXXX which taking into account the location of this restaurant we think was good value and we recommend it to anyone visiting Carvoeiro ".
Then there would have been no reason to ask the question.
All you had to do Aldo was as another poster asked earlier on in the Barco thread was to tell us what the bill came to.
The questions would then have been answered and a conclusion drawn .
bruce
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by bruce »

EMM wrote:What a load of tosh.
I buy and eat farmed fish and framed frozen prawns to cook and eat at home.
I know that there is a 90% chance that the prawns I am served in most restaurants be it in the UK or Portugal are de frosted or chilled and have more airmiles than the Beckhams
I also know that unless I go to a certain premium price restaurants that the fish from certain species will be farmed or frozen.
But then I am interested and concerned about the scource of the food I eat.

Reviews should be accurate and reviewers answer questions or what is the point of having a review section.

Now if Aldo in his reviews had said something along the lines of " I chose the prawns and sea bass, the square in Carvoeiro might have been the closest either ingredient had got to the sea in Portugal but they were well cooked and delicious . . The bill for the night was XXXX which taking into account the location of this restaurant we think was good value and we recommend it to anyone visiting Carvoeiro ".
Then there would have been no reason to ask the question.

All you had to do Aldo was as another poster asked earlier on in the Barco thread was to tell us what the bill came to.
The questions would then have been answered and a conclusion drawn .
It might be a load of tosh to you, most things are.
Can't say I have ever bought or cooked framed prawns :roll:
laserblazer
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by laserblazer »

cooked framed prawns
Used to happen a lot before PACE was introduced.
Aldo
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Aldo »

best thing to do is let EMM have all the say on the forum and for us mere mortals not to have an opinion.

In all honesty I cant say that I had sight of or even thought about the bill for a number of reasons, namely

1) I was on holiday
2) not bothered
3) Enjoyed meal and service
4) hubby paid

Happy now EMM ?????

but if you are really that concerned, have a walk down to these awful places and check the menu out. You seem to have far more time than most of us.
The restaurants in CVO are struggling as it is without individuals like EMM making regulars feel guilty about eating in them, I could go into full flow about environmental anomalies but do not want to become boring or contentious as this site is meant to be a place where we can contribute and have a feel good factor. Like many others I use my place in CVO as a stress reliever away from the daily grind of the UK, and try to contribute to the local economy by patronising the restaurants, shops and services. The bad direction my 2 reviews have taken have surprised and disappointed me.
Overall I find the forum welcoming and informative but watch with bewilderment went the 'chosen few' attack contributors for daring to write something positive.

EMM, you appear to be a very angry person and I suggest you consider why you need to be so destructive and negative.

If you want me to ask my husband how much each bill was, please let me know

Aldo
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Aldo wrote:In all honesty I cant say that I [...] thought about the bill for a number of reasons, namely

1) I was on holiday
2) not bothered
3) Enjoyed meal and service
4) hubby paid
Sadly, except for item 4, I can totally relate to all that :wink:

I think that spontaneous, unstructured and informal reviews all make fascinating reading and add to the colour and usefulness of this forum. Keep them flowing.

Factual and informative posts are also welcoming and useful, but nobody has to adhere to any structure or rules when it comes to reviews.
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

I think there should be a rule which say's ...........If you've never eaten at the restaurant under review don't comment, leave it to those that have. EMM needs to get out more & type less !
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

We spend aver 20 weeks /year in Carvoeiro and therefor do know a little about what is of offer from restaurants.
We have probably looked at the menu outside of 90% of them half a dozen times looking in hope of finding something different.
Only when we see fish/shellfish sold by the kg rather then portion is there a good chance that it is fresh./wild
If we really do want fresh then you have do go and pay the prices of places like Rei da Praias
Hence my question when you praised your meal at Barco and surprise at your response to being asked was it wild fish or not.
I do not believe that you are not aware of the difference in quality that the prices we pay indicate.
Ernie
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Ernie »

Interesting that most of the "wild fresh fish" that is served in restaurants up and down the Algarve comes from Macro and is shipped in.
Agree with all of the posters above . Inverted snobbery at a 20 week level.
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

Ernie should go to Lagos market when the local fisherman are unloading their catch, or Armacao da Pera, Sagres, Portimao, Olhao or even closer to home the quay side at Ferragudo. You of course have to pay the premium for this fish.
Not a macro lorry in sight,
You are right in suggesting that Macro is one of the larger the local wholesalers of farmed fish which if fresh is OK and if honestly presented as " farmed fish rather than wild " is not a problem.
I am happy to buy decent quality farmed bass or bream at around 9euros kg in Continente, Pinge Doce, Intermarche etc ( which probably wholesales at 5euros/kg ) as I simply cannot afford to pay the 25euros/kg that wild fish costs.
If its is bought as " farmed why can,t it be sold in restaurants as " farmed
?