O Stop

EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: O Stop

Post by EMM »

I have had many good dining experiences in the area and many not so good.
When we first arrived we read the forums and went to those places many regulars frequqently comment on and to be honest often it was a case of hype over substance.
This year we have been going to Tasco a place where the new owners are trying very hard to be a little different and sadly paying the price for it as they could be busier if they followed the herd .
To be honest we prefer not to eat out too often in high season as standards do drop
Whereas in low season when there is much less business about service and quality usually improves.
Vimar is a good example our experience there in low season was very different to some of the recent reports .Salmao is a bit of a favourite because of its location and range of specials . Yes you can hear the ding of the microwave sometimes but their monkfish tart is a firm favourite.
O Indiano where they do not have to ask how spicy we want our food now and everyone we have suggested it to agree that it is one of the best of its type in the area. We have friends who live in Albufeira who now drive to Carvoeiro when they need the " Indian Fix ".
We have not tried the new TASTE yet the old was a real dissapointment and if time and inclination permits we will go there on our next visit.
There are some very small and simple good value restaurants in Lagos where the " fish Stew " contains whatever was available that day, where rabbit and goat appear on the menus.
In Carvoeiro itself we have yet to find anywhere like this.
Now that that it is cooler we will be trying some of the daily lunch specials at our local Crazy Chicken it is a pity that they do not have them on the night menu.
The last thing I would want to do at my advanced age is run a restaurant but please will someone take over the Boteco, the best location in Carvoeiro and make it somehwhere we would all want to go to.
Jaylay
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Jaylay »

EMM wrote:I have had many good dining experiences in the area and many not so good.
When we first arrived we read the forums and went to those places many regulars frequqently comment on and to be honest often it was a case of hype over substance.
This year we have been going to Tasco a place where the new owners are trying very hard to be a little different and sadly paying the price for it as they could be busier if they followed the herd .
To be honest we prefer not to eat out too often in high season as standards do drop
Whereas in low season when there is much less business about service and quality usually improves.
Vimar is a good example our experience there in low season was very different to some of the recent reports .Salmao is a bit of a favourite because of its location and range of specials . Yes you can hear the ding of the microwave sometimes but their monkfish tart is a firm favourite.
O Indiano where they do not have to ask how spicy we want our food now and everyone we have suggested it to agree that it is one of the best of its type in the area. We have friends who live in Albufeira who now drive to Carvoeiro when they need the " Indian Fix ".
We have not tried the new TASTE yet the old was a real dissapointment and if time and inclination permits we will go there on our next visit.
There are some very small and simple good value restaurants in Lagos where the " fish Stew " contains whatever was available that day, where rabbit and goat appear on the menus.
In Carvoeiro itself we have yet to find anywhere like this.
Now that that it is cooler we will be trying some of the daily lunch specials at our local Crazy Chicken it is a pity that they do not have them on the night menu.
The last thing I would want to do at my advanced age is run a restaurant but please will someone take over the Boteco, the best location in Carvoeiro and make it somehwhere we would all want to go to.
Just to help you EMM you can get goat at A Paletta,(next to Pingo Doce) we had it the other Sunday Dish of the day, Cooked in a pot in red wine think it was 7.50€. Happys have Rabbit Stew as a dish of the day sometimes but I am sure Liber would make it for you any time if you ordered in advance.
Silves is a good place to try more traditional dishes, numerous places there serve them although mostly at lunch times.

With regard to Boteco changing hands I doubt if there is any chance of that as it is owned and run by the Solferias Hotel,
Last edited by Jaylay on Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

Thank you for those recommendations,
Must spend more time looking at Happys menu.

I have just been looking at Algave Daily News apart from a report on a government back down on the rates rises ? there is also a report about the Vila Vita hotel at Porches running cooking courses and its scourcing of fish from Portimao fish market.
Looking at the varities of fish for sale there we will certainly be making a visit.
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

By the way its not my letter in the Algarve Resident :D
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

Time to observe the subject title of this thread. 8)
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

widge wrote:Time to observe the subject title of this thread. 8)
Oh yes,

O Stop....

A great little restaurant and bar down below us on the lovely Centiannes Bay beach. Fairly cheap standard fayre food, in a small restaurant built on the rocks with the sea coming in underneath.

Faces due west, across the bay, and has the best views of the sunset in the area.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Bruce Wallis wrote:O Stop....

A great little restaurant and bar down below us on the lovely Centiannes Bay beach. Fairly cheap standard fayre food, in a small restaurant built on the rocks with the sea coming in underneath.

Faces due west, across the bay, and has the best views of the sunset in the area.
Thanks Bruce,
I thought this whole discussion was a bit melodramatic, and then your last post induced some deja vu and hey presto:

Please continue discussion about O Stop at:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23816

This topic now closed.