Jota Lita

alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: Jota Lita

Post by alf1956 »

made another visit last night for my usual flambe tiger prawns,they were excellent as usual&so was the service with the usual leaving the bottle of port on the table to just help yourself!
laserblazer
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by laserblazer »

It's a pretty indifferent port though!
cloudchaser49
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by cloudchaser49 »

I have had the port gift in Jota lita andfound it fine, I have never had this free drinktreatment in any British restaurant I have been to. A nice gesture in a country with such financial problems.
laserblazer
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by laserblazer »

cloudchaser49 wrote:I have had the port gift in Jota lita andfound it fine, I have never had this free drinktreatment in any British restaurant I have been to. A nice gesture in a country with such financial problems.
It's sort of traditional but a nice touch. It's hardly free though.
Sandy
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Sandy »

Its what's known as courtesy and generally considered to be charming/a good thing and rather heartwarming.
No outlet is obliged to offer it.
Please accept it - or decline it - in the spirit in which its given.
Please don't ever whinge about it.
laserblazer
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by laserblazer »

We have always accepted the port with thanks. Jota Lita is a great restaurant, the food is good and the service first class. I just said is that the port is not the best I have been offered at the end of a meal. The cost is built into the price of the meal, it's not exactly free and it could influence the diner to be more generous with the tip. :) You don't get it because you have been such a good and respected customer. Unlike another restaurant we use regularly, where the wine is never added to the menu.
cloudchaser49
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by cloudchaser49 »

If the cost of the port is built in to the bill, why can't British restaurants adopt this practice, they certainly charge enough for the food! Might help to soften the blow of the bill.
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

where is that laserblazer ?might give it a try tonite
sunman
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by sunman »

now that we're tourists again it was fun to have a wander up and down the hill looking for somewhere to eat; Jota Lita had a nice table outside and some nice looking fish in their fridge so we sat down.

the covers were offered as extras & we accepted, lovely mixed olives, cheeses, paste, carrots & lots of different bread, all very nice :-)

our companions had portuguese steak & chicken curry; Mrs Sunman & I both had grilled robalo, individual fish on the bone, very meaty, tasty & delicious; mixed sides of vegetables, rice & chips were put on the table for all by the very pleasant staff.

a highly enjoyable experience added to by all the happy tourists walking by, great value at €20 per head & followed by a stroll down to the square for an ice cream & a people watch.

for music fans; Ilze was singing in the square outside Mungo's, great as always but as it was at mealtime there wasn't much of an audience for her sadly.
In the main square they were setting up a stage for music later on but we didn't hang around long enough to hear any.