Rafaiol's Restaurant

roy4eyes
CVO Master
CVO Master

Rafaiol's Restaurant

Post by roy4eyes »

Having been handed a flier about this restaurant near Rocha Brava, and not having been there for over a year, decided to give it anothe go for Sunday lunch.
The choice of menu was roast lamb or roast lamb but it was excellent with a rather different beautifully presented and cooked selection of vegetables. Starters 2 soups or melon in port, selection of desserts (we had the chocolate cake which was to die for!!) drinks included for € 17. Definitely a class above the other Sunday roasts we have had here recently and worth a try for the Bruce brigade :lol:
tricky
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: Rafaiol's Restaurant

Post by tricky »

What did the rest of the menu look like Roy?, its not all English is it?
roy4eyes
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by roy4eyes »

Didn't look at the normal menu. The Sunday lunch is a one-off special.
coedfive
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Post by coedfive »

Rafaiols has been a firm favourite of ours for many years - we have never stopped going! The menu will suit all tastes, there is usually a good fresh fish selection and the sirloin steak is one of lifes true pleasures. The vegetable selection is always delicious - not a frozen chip in sight. Can't wait to come for Sunday Lunch!
laserblazer
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by laserblazer »

Coedfive, I noticed your post rate. Slow down a bit or you will be catching Pato up :)
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

We live very close to this restaurant....but have never tried it....if Roy says it's worth a look.....who am I to disagree :D

PS....but are the roast potatoes as good a Barry's at Rascals??? Sunday lunch without "roasties" just isnt sunday lunch!!
HampshireRich
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by HampshireRich »

Bruce Wallis wrote:We live very close to this restaurant....but have never tried it....if Roy says it's worth a look.....who am I to disagree :D

PS....but are the roast potatoes as good a Barry's at Rascals??? Sunday lunch without "roasties" just isnt sunday lunch!!
Are you being sponsored by Rascal's these days Bruce?
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

In the UK for most of our adult lives we had a home cooked sunday roast 90% of the time we are here. UK spud varieties roast very well.
However in PT we do not reglarly cook a sunday lunch as we just cannot find a variety that will give us a nice golden crisp finish that compares, even bringing out lard or using local pork fat to roast them in.
Roast we have eaten in restaurants in Portugal also do not come up to scratch.

Of course the cynic in me could suspect that some UK run places are now buying the frozen part cooked products available from a certain store whose name should not be mentioned :twisted: :twisted:
bruce
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by bruce »

EMM Try using goose fat!
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

Done that as well, just need to find the right variety, those sold in the main supermarkets just do not produce the same quality of roast or chips for that matter.
ron5000
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by ron5000 »

EMM wrote:Done that as well, just need to find the right variety, those sold in the main supermarkets just do not produce the same quality of roast or chips for that matter.
Iceland sell English potatoes
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

HampshireRich wrote:
Bruce Wallis wrote:We live very close to this restaurant....but have never tried it....if Roy says it's worth a look.....who am I to disagree :D

Are you being sponsored by Rascal's these days Bruce?
He seems to be although, paradoxically, he appears to be losing weight !
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

ron5000 wrote:
EMM wrote:Done that as well, just need to find the right variety, those sold in the main supermarkets just do not produce the same quality of roast or chips for that matter.
Iceland sell English potatoes

But the Algarve is not in England and we avoid buying as much as we can that has been shipped across europe, certainly fresh fruit and veg.The same applies when in the UK although it is harder as there is less choice of local products in UK supermarkets.
We will just have to keep looking and trying out the many varieties ( locally grown ) sold in the markets.
coedfive
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Post by coedfive »

I have to agree with Emm that the varieties of potato readily available in Portugal do not roast that well. Rafaiols serve sauted potatoes rather than roast potatoes, they might not be traditional but they are delicious. Laserblazer has blown my cover - I was hoping to silently overtake Pato :wink:
blue
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by blue »

I have never had any problems roasting Portuguese potatoes & I use a number of different varieties, white & red. As long as they're par-boiled & the fat in the oven tray (I use olive oil) is really, really hot I've never had a failure, lovely & crispy on the outside, light & fluffy on the inside - perfect.