Taste

jimmyp
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Taste

Post by jimmyp »

Hi all

I understand this is under new ownership. Anyone eaten there since it was taken over? Improvement or worse than before?!

J
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Re: Taste

Post by Bruce Wallis »

Kimmy managed to unload it did she?? 8)
jamielyon4
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by jamielyon4 »

We had a great night there last week, Nicola and Ciprian are the new owners and have made some great changes to the menu...worth a visit ... they have a full page at finditalgarve, formulate your own opinion
tastecarveoiro
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by tastecarveoiro »

Hi there!

As word obviously hasn´t spread yet to everybody we would like to take this opportunity here and state very clear that TASTE RESTAURANTE CARVOEIRO is under NEW OWNERSHIP since 02.05.2011! :!:

We (Ciprian & Nicola) made changes to the menu, kept a few Tapas, joined fish fillet with different sauces, juicy steaks and great desserts plus a relaxed atmosphere in the downstairs Lounge bar (with LIVE MUSIC on Thursdays). We are also open for lunch with a set 2- course lunch menu for 9,50€ p.p.. Everybody curious is welcome just to have a look around, for anybody interested in eating we highly recommend to book a table by 282 358 092 or 969 577 644. For more info check out facebook/ taste carvoeiro or http://www.mydestination.com!

Thanks....
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

We had a look at their menu today and were a tad dissapointed, with a few exceptions it is the standard Algarve holiday fare.
It may well be better prepared, cooked and presented but it would have been better to have bought a new dining experience to Carvoerio.
The " tapas " are basically popular starters and too expensive to be regarded as something to just have with a drink.

Just across the road ( the In Road ) is the jomar cafe, bottle beer 1 euro, canneca 2 euros,
port E1.50, white coffee 1 euro plus very reasonably priced ( basic ) food.
Ceratinly somewhere to stop off for a coffee and liquor before going up the hill at night.
blue
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by blue »

Isn't there live music on the 'out' road on Thursday evenings?
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

There is on Tuesdays.
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

Taste....or before that Medina, suffered a major problem.

Too far out to really attract enough passing trade.

Therefore they needed to provide something really special and different to draw the punters.

Medina went for a Morrocan theme, the owner didnt really understand Arabic /North African food.
his chef wasnt Morrocan, and his main draw became a hulky good looking Ukranian waiter.
nice guy....but that place was doomed to fail.

Taste's main draw was the lovely Kimmy and her Ele&Ella pedigree. Her many friends flocked in to support her ambitious undertaking......but location, location, location again....and to be honest, her menu didn't really work for many people.
That, combined with a couple of other factors, made Kimmy decide to move on.

I wish the new owners well.........but you are fighting an uphill fight.......
Location, location, location.
They need to find an attractive menu option.....which rumour suggests they are still looking for.

One thing is for sure.....if they fall back on standard Carvoeiro fayre, without providing a very good reason to take the walk up to Taste.....they will sadly struggle, as those that went before struggled.

I wish them well
tonyc
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Post by tonyc »

Forgive me but are we speaking of the same place here?

Taste to my best knowledge is a very short walk along the "out road" and are we saying that visitors and residents alike wont walk that far?

I fear the most obvious reason for lack of custom is dreadful name it got under the last management. We had one meal there, because of the El and Ella connection and can honestly say it was the worst we have ever experienced in the region. Crabs claws that were barely defrosted, so called Spanish meatballs that tasted of nothing and a string of inedible so called Tapas. Oh yes and we literally stuck to a table that had only the day before been painted with gloss paint! "Kimmy" apologised and so kindly knocked off the price of our coffees! Most generous! The bill was high for a foul meal. I know many others who had similar experiences so I wish the new owners well. We may even try it again.
gavinhenson
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by gavinhenson »

We ate here a couple of weeks ago and it was excellent - the food and the service were both top notch. We turned up without booking for 8 people and they were very accommodating, plus nothing was too much hassle for them, like our request to have 2 bills instead of one (for the students with us who were budgeting!). Two things that happened during the course of our meal which impressed me were that we got portuguese omlette canapes "compliments of the chef" for a slight delay after ordering, which, to be honest I didn't even notice, we didn't have to wait any longer than any other restaurant we'd visited. Also, one our party ordered a pasta dish but left most of it (small appetite), the waiter was immediately concerned even after we inisited that it wasn't anything to do with the food.... even so they said they wouldn't charge us for it, and were true to their word! :D

The only thing I would say is that the portion sizes could be a little larger, not by a lot though - the food and presentation is obviously designed to be more upmarket rather than a bish bosh bash affair! I had the oven roasted cod with sauteed vegetables which was extremely tasty - the best fish I've had in a while, but I was hungry again a couple of hours later. :roll:

Just to add also, we went here on recommendation from one of our party so we weren't passing visitors. Didn't disappoint though! :D :D
logicbob
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by logicbob »

We ate there last night and the food and service was incredible. We have eaten there when it was Medina and the previous Taste run by Ele & Ella which was OK but this was dining on a different level. The food at last lives up to its name we had sole with a saffron sauce which was in a taste league of its own. If you are looking for something special give it a try Ciprian the owner will look after all of your needs.
LICY
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by LICY »

Taste is both on the in road and on the out road. On Friday evening just before flying out we wanted to find it and had difficulty initially. We then noticed the courtyard on the outroad and when you walk down the side of the building the in road has the inside section. Must say it looked lovely. On Trip Advisor there are many good comments. I for one will be bringing the family there the end of next month. If anyone is out there now ask them if they are opening on 31 December as that is an easy walk from our Villa. Bruce you really need to try it. xx :wink: :)
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

LICY wrote:Taste is both on the in road and on the out road. On Friday evening just before flying out we wanted to find it and had difficulty initially. We then noticed the courtyard on the outroad and when you walk down the side of the building the in road has the inside section. Must say it looked lovely. On Trip Advisor there are many good comments. I for one will be bringing the family there the end of next month. If anyone is out there now ask them if they are opening on 31 December as that is an easy walk from our Villa. Bruce you really need to try it. xx :wink: :)
Well Dahlin'....if you're paying :wink:
LICY
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by LICY »

Bruce Wallis wrote:
LICY wrote:Taste is both on the in road and on the out road. On Friday evening just before flying out we wanted to find it and had difficulty initially. We then noticed the courtyard on the outroad and when you walk down the side of the building the in road has the inside section. Must say it looked lovely. On Trip Advisor there are many good comments. I for one will be bringing the family there the end of next month. If anyone is out there now ask them if they are opening on 31 December as that is an easy walk from our Villa. Bruce you really need to try it. xx :wink: :)
Well Dahlin'....if you're paying :wink:
So long as you are there on NYE. :lol: :lol: :lol:
tastecarveoiro
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by tastecarveoiro »

LICY wrote: I for one will be bringing the family there the end of next month. If anyone is out there now ask them if they are opening on 31 December as that is an easy walk from our Villa. :)
Hi there, YES WE ARE OPEN FOR NEW YEAR 31.12.! We will have normal dinner service, a la carte menu, no special entertainment or live music. We take bookings already, Tel 00351-969577644. TASTE Restaurant will be closed for vacation only from 20.01.12.- 12.02.12.