A Rede

Aldo
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

A Rede

Post by Aldo »

We visited A Rede on Saturday night and were really disappointed by the food, service and attitude. Apparently this has been a good restaurant in the past and we chose to eat here based upon reputation.
With so many restaurants in CVO as competition, and it certainly was not full, I was very disappointed. Definitely will not be returning, and will stay withe O Gale, Oasis, Jota Lita and other venues who try really hard.
Tito1
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Re: A Rede

Post by Tito1 »

Hello, i went there in September 2011, and i dont agree with this coments, me and my family had diferent things from the menu and all were realy great. Mr. Carlos and his staff were realy nice and make me fill welcom... i will return for sure.
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

i use a rede on a regular basis&i have always found the food to be good&the service also good
fmm
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by fmm »

Yep - been there every time I'm out and sometimes it is a bit pricey (need to be careful what you choose from the menu), but the food is always good and the service consistent (regulars will know what I mean!)

I find the long waits and inconsistent food at A Gale far worse!
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

fmm wrote:Yep - been there every time I'm out and sometimes it is a bit pricey (need to be careful what you choose from the menu), but the food is always good and the service consistent (regulars will know what I mean!)

In 8 years, The food at A Gale has never dropped below a consistently high standard, and the delays in service never excessive.
fmm
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by fmm »

Bruce Wallis wrote:
fmm wrote:Yep - been there every time I'm out and sometimes it is a bit pricey (need to be careful what you choose from the menu), but the food is always good and the service consistent (regulars will know what I mean!)

In 8 years, The food at A Gale has never dropped below a consistently high standard, and the delays in service never excessive.
May I respectfully comment that my experience over 7 years has been significantly different to yours - over an hour one October to wait for starters (admittedly this was unusual - normally 25-45 minutes) and I find some of the food they send out (for example the prawns) to be of poor quality - rubbery and not acceptable from a restaurant.

I know that this restaurant has its fans (you included), and perhaps you get amazing food and service if you are a regular (and it makes sense for A Gale to look after their regulars), but they also need to gain new fans and despite their friendly service, the wait for food and the occasional problems with quality mean that I don't tend to go there. Interestingly, when the bills are totted up, they were only 10 euros cheaper than my meal for 3 at Maximes ...
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

Obviously FMM's standards are so high, that those of us that support and frequent lesser restaurants than Maximes, should bow their heads, (with respect , as he puts it of course), and accept his condemnation of a restaurant that we lesser mortals consider very highly.
Likewise, I will make it may duty to point out to my wife, when she enjoys her "rubbery flambé prawns", next week, that she knows nothing, about the true quality of how prawns should be cooked and presented.

On a less facetious note, note, I really do hope that FMM, has the moral courage to make his points directly to Carla, the owner of A Gale', because I know that she genuinely strives to give the best quality food and service, and I'm sure that she would welcome the opportunity to attempt to address the perceived shortcomings.
roy4eyes
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by roy4eyes »

Sorry Bruce but on this occasion my experiences concur with fmm's. The food, service and price have been, at best, very average - and this from a connoiseur of such Firestone (Michelins didn't go there !!) restaurants as Fatacil, Ti Therese, a Barca Velha and other such € 7.50 restaurants. :lol:
Last edited by roy4eyes on Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SAM SPARKLE
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by SAM SPARKLE »

Have to agree, two of my friends suffered a mild dose of food poisoning after dining there, we haven’t used it for years. :|
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

roy4eyes wrote:Sorry Bruce but on this occasion my experiences concur with fmm's. The food, service and price have been, at best, very average - and this from a connoiseur of such Firestone (Michelins didn't go there !!) restaurants as Fatacil, Ti Therese, a Barca Velha and other such € 7.50 restaurants. :lol:
Ahhh yes....but now you're talking class on a budget!!! :D
Canada
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Canada »

SAM SPARKLE wrote:Have to agree, two of my friends suffered a mild dose of food poisoning after dining there, we haven’t used it for years. :|
Interesting comment, Bruce especially after Marty's experience at A Gale. Not a mild dose but 2 Dr. visits to the villa.
fmm
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by fmm »

Bruce Wallis wrote:Obviously FMM's standards are so high, that those of us that support and frequent lesser restaurants than Maximes, should bow their heads, (with respect , as he puts it of course), and accept his condemnation of a restaurant that we lesser mortals consider very highly.
Likewise, I will make it may duty to point out to my wife, when she enjoys her "rubbery flambé prawns", next week, that she knows nothing, about the true quality of how prawns should be cooked and presented.

On a less facetious note, note, I really do hope that FMM, has the moral courage to make his points directly to Carla, the owner of A Gale', because I know that she genuinely strives to give the best quality food and service, and I'm sure that she would welcome the opportunity to attempt to address the perceived shortcomings.
Actually (as I believe I have pointed out to you before) I am not a he ...

Anyway - I simply referred to Maximes as being only 2.50 euros a head more expensive to compare the service and food between the two restaurants. And highlight that the perception of Maximes being expensive is completely false as they do not appear to have any extras going onto the bill which means the costs are very reasonable.

Clearly you are never going to change your view, and equally clearly, I am not going to change mine. So you will have one table less in front of you and therefore can be served quicker :lol:

And no - I have NOT raised the points about the poor food with Carla. My view is (and always has been), if a professional sends poor food out of their kitchen, then it is not up to me to try to correct it. They are, after all, the professionals and are putting the best food out that they can (one would hope) ... If I don't like the food in a restaurant, then I shall simply eat elsewhere.

I have, however, complained about the long wait for food. To receive a shrug of the shoulders and to be told they are busy. No shit. If they are busy then get more staff in. Simples.

I have given this particular restaurant several chances - based on the love of it by various people on here. No more chances. And I genuinely do hope that your wife enjoys her prawns. Given the law of averages, they clearly deliver reasonable food some of the time - so she will probably have an excellent meal.

Finally, I did not particularly appreciate the sarcasm you used in your response. I was not sarcastic in my response to anyone else on this thread, and felt that your "witticisms" were out of place. Maximes is an excellent restaurant and NOT expensive. One of my preferred restaurants in the village is A Fonte - neither up market nor expensive - but their prawns ARE excellent ...
bruce
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by bruce »

I have to support BW on this one, we have always had excellent service and good food at A Gale, I obviously dont know my prawns though :cry:
If I had a problem with any restaurant I would certainly tell the wait staff when they asked was everything ok.
Maximes is another favourite of ours always had a good meal there whereas with A Rede we had a dreadful meal many years ago
so never bothered going there again.
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

Sorry FMM....both for the gender error, and the sarcasm....
fmm
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by fmm »

Bruce Wallis wrote:Sorry FMM....both for the gender error, and the sarcasm....
:D