Island Cafe

Highlandlass
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Island Cafe

Post by Highlandlass »

We stayed at Colina Da Lap, so this was really handy for us. However, we were quite disappointed. The interiors lovely, really quite classy, the staff are lovely, but the food was quite disappointing. Reminded us of the food you would get at a Brewer Faye, i.e. ribs smothered in a really artificial sauce, half roast hicken that has clearly been microwaved, frozen chips etc. Also, they charged us for a bottle of wine that we did'nt have, but we did not notice this until 2 day later! It was ok, but qite expensive, and we won't be returning in a hurry!
GeeBe
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by GeeBe »

I have completely the opposite opinion.

My Father recommended it to me and I went there with my wife and kids, the waitress we had was the daughter of the owner and was lovely. She was great with the kids and made us feel very welcome.

I thought the food was great and well priced, we only went in for a quick snack and ended up having a 3 course meal, our mind was made up on desert after seeing their Chocolate fudge cake with ice cream!

My mother came out to the Villa when we left and told her all about it, she ate there 4 nights in the week she was out.

My Father told me the chef was an American, he wasn’t there when I went as we were in early. Maybe you caught them on an off day?

Along with Villa Medici this will be one of out regular eat outs!
kteee

Post by kteee »

I understand that Island Cafe has changed hands recently (not sure when exactly) and the American chef may no longer be there
GeeBe
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by GeeBe »

kteee wrote:I understand that Island Cafe has changed hands recently (not sure when exactly) and the American chef may no longer be there
It has, now owned by a guy called Tony Trinder, my Father it out at the Villa at the moment I'm sure he will pay a visit, I'll ask him when he gets back.
cazzy7
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by cazzy7 »

Just returned from a 2 week hol and we ate in the island cafe 5 times it was so nice and we can be quite fussy the staff were always really nice and the service excellent and lovely freshly cooked food every time at lunch and dinner :D
hasthorped
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Island Cafe

Post by hasthorped »

What a shame it would be if this exceptional restaurant were allowed to become an " also-ran ". Haven't been for a while, but our visits have seen excellent ambience, tremendous food and great service. I recommended it to our daughter and her family when they were out in August. Both adults and children loved it!
Would be nice if many of the restaurants in central CVO took a leaf out of their book and got somewhere near the standards of Island Cafe ( at least, how it was on our last trip!! )

David.
tricky
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by tricky »

We drove up to look at it during August, the menu looked good but restaurant was completely empty. shame, hope it gets busier
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

We met the chef of the Island Cafe last time we were over. He has some big ideas....but I was left feeling that here was another new guy hoping to re-invent the wheel.
alibali
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

island cafe

Post by alibali »

We ate there last Nov and had great lunch. Went back Aug and whilst food was good they messed up order and we waited ages. My daughter and partner got a carry out last week, they waited over an hour, said place was in chaos, wrong orders and folk complaining. Then, when they got food could not eat it!! It is a pity as we really liked the place and the staff were nice. Our experience of food was great.
hasthorped
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

What Is It About Retaurants?

Post by hasthorped »

Is it me? We are relatively new to CVO but each time we go, we try to visit somewhere we have not been before along with places that we liked on a previous visit. Each time we come back, it seems that this restaurant has changed hands, another is a pale shadow of its' former glory, someone is trying out a new theme. Wouldn't want to stand in the way of progress if that is what it is, but why, oh why do these places change so quickly and so often?
Is there a general attempt to " screw-up " the restaurant scene in CVO or is this like in the UK-nobody gives a s - -t?
Perhaps when CVO is full of McDonalds and BK, Starbucks and Costa Plenty, when everyone has moved on to any of the many delightful small Portuguese towns along the Algarve, they'll be happy.

COME ON CVO RESIDENTS AND TOURISTS ALIKE. LET'S HAVE QUALITY AND VARIETY, BUT MOST OF ALL CONTINUITY!!!

David ( frustrated CVO enthusiast ) :? :x :roll:
snaj1
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

island cafe

Post by snaj1 »

We stayed at their villa (september) in sesmarias and visited the Island Cafe.
We thought the food was excellent as well as the surroundings and the service. We also took our baby who thoroughly enjoyed the experience. :wink:
bjay
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by bjay »

Went to Island Cafe this week and really enjoyed it. It has a nice modern menu which pleased my teenagers(and me too!)
A bit pricier than restaurants in Carvoeiro but good for a treat and a change.
cazzy7
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by cazzy7 »

Just returned and ate at the island cafe again still really lovely :D