boteco - disappointing

gamalpass
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

boteco - disappointing

Post by gamalpass »

I think the restaurant is called Boteco - its the one on the top road coming out of the centre of Carvoeiro. We were really looking forward to a return visit as last year it had been so lovely. This year we returned to a rather shabby and tired looking Boteco. Sadly the food was not the best and so we decided to give it a miss for the rest of the holidays. Such a lovely outlook - what a shame.
Barry
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Barry »

We have not visited O Boteco for some time, for very similar reasons. Great view, shame about the food. Wish it would improve, since it is very handy for us when we are in residence, but change will probably only come with a change of ownership.
Mike,Chislehurst
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Mike,Chislehurst »

The sooner the better
tricky
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by tricky »

I think it is unbelievable that one of the best settings in the Algarve and certainly in Carvoeiro should have such a mediocre restaurant.
If the food was good the place would be packed out every night.
How long will it take for the owners to realise they need a new Chef!

Can you imagine if Ele/Ela or L'orange relocated there?
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

tricky wrote:Can you imagine if Ele/Ela or L'orange relocated there?
Yes, you'd never be able to get in :wink:
tricky
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by tricky »

I can always get a table in the best restaurants :wink:
Canada
CVO Master
CVO Master

O Boteco

Post by Canada »

My daughter saw this restaurant and the location 11 years ago and wanted to have her 22nd birthday dinner there. It was wonderful then but sadly -it has gone down hill since then.
Gary/Gaynor
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Gary/Gaynor »

...This is one restaurant I've always fancied trying, but not now. There are a couple of local restaurants in CVO that need to 'up their game ' considering what they charge.
gaynor :(
laserblazer
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Re: O Boteco

Post by laserblazer »

Canada wrote:but sadly -it has gone down hill since then.
So the views not so good either? :D
Canada
CVO Master
CVO Master

Boteco- disappointing

Post by Canada »

Funny laser! :lol:
Ellie
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Ellie »

I had a nice meal here about 2 years ago..just simple fare, sardine salad.
But I was too interested in the lovely views and the couple I met there who I struck up a conversation with.
I like simple food and Im not too fussy..Id be happy to sit there & gaze at the glorious view, with just a 'sarnie' and lemonade :)
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

I agree about Botecos obvious advantages.
It has possibly the best location of any restuarant in the village. It has carparking, yet both meals we have had there have been terrible. We actually walked out on our 2nd visit.
This SHOULD be the restaurant that you go to for that special occasion.
You can always get a table there, because basically it's crap! Actually overpriced crap! No wonder it usually closes early.

I agree, put Ella&Ella there, and you would have a prestige restaurant worthy of the name and location
gamalpass
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Boteco

Post by gamalpass »

Its very sad. I had a house speciality of king prawns. When the 3 prawns arrived they were so over done I could hardly get them out of the shell and was quite dissapointed. They cost 34 euros. My 7 year old daughter was desperate for the minnie mouse ice cream but when it arrived and my husand took the top off - imagine our surprise to find no ice cream but an old frozen carrot. Probably a healthier choice but not what we ordered. The poor waiter was quite taken aback as you can imagine!! Standards seem to have slipped!!
Barry
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Barry »

My last meal there was tuna in onion sauce. The tuna was like tough leather and the "onion sauce" was a few fried onions in what looked like dish water. I complained and got more dish water! I think the guy that owns it said some time ago (when we were still talking to him) that he used to be a maintenance man. Maybe he needs to return to his trade. As most people have said, a great waste of a wonderful location. Maybe Ellie is right. Go for something that isn't cooked, and enjoy the view.
Ellie
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Ellie »

:lol:
Ill have to give this place another go Barry..you've got me curious now with all the talk of bad grub.
Tell you what Ill do. In Sept, I will go there, notebook & pen in hand and say that Im writing for an Algarve website and that I am writing up a report on the local cuisine!
Will I get better grub d'you think? :)

Actually,I like to sit up on the cliffs there...on a rock overlooking the sea with me cheese sandwich & a peach juice :wink: