A Galaria

Karen Ann
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

A Galaria

Post by Karen Ann »

On our first visit to CVO we tried to eat at a different restaurant each evening.
The only disappointing evening was the one we visited A Galaria. It was a set three course menu.

Soup to start
(It tasted like potato water with a few herbs thrown in)
Chicken in a basket as the main course
( although they didn't call it that)
and a choice of fruit or cake for desert
I asked for cake and was informed there was none left so I settled for the fruit and was brought 2 tangerines on a side plate.

The service was far from acceptible, yes I understand that there was just two of us, we were after all celebrating my husbands 40th birthday, but when another couple entered the restaurant the waitress sat them at our table without asking permission or even acknowledging our presence.

That is one restaurant we will never go back to.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?
bA^
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by bA^ »

After trying the piri piri, we decided to go back.
I decided to try the varied meats on a stick(I dont know what its called on the menu lol) and didnt think much of it, the meat was cold and the salad was something else, for all the wrong reasons....
dewy
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by dewy »

Went last Easter and thought it was V good. Returned at Xmas and it was poor, probably won't bother again with so much choice around.
Ernie
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Ernie »

lots of people refused to pay for food in there last year
Sharen Crane
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Sharen Crane »

Michael and I both ate in here when we first went out in 2000 and the food was great. We ate chicken cataplana which was the best I have ever tasted. However, we have been back in the last couple of years and I have to be honest I was not that impressed with the food or for that matter the service and it is not somewhere I will be rushing back to.
Michael Crane
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Michael Crane »

Here's a topic I posted four years ago. A Galeria. You might find it amusing. :)
carolyn
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by carolyn »

Thought I would add a more recent update as there have been no comments since 2006!
We went to this restaurant twice when over the other weekend and had two very enjoyable meals. We had soup both times - hot, homemade and delicious and also chicken piri-piri (very good - a big plateful), and fresh grilled fish (veg was a bit overcooked, but fish was great). The waitress was very friendly and not over obtrusive (see earlier posts).
The tables are very close together - but that tends not to be a problem in January! Also it is open the whole year - we checked with the waitress - quite useful to know.
kappa
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by kappa »

I hope you didn´t leave any tip - the waiters won´t get it as the owners keep it. Sad bat true.
dennisg
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by dennisg »

We ate there twice in January and have to say that it was excellent both times. We had cover (very good), soup, fish (superb), wine and coffee for 17 euros each. One of the best values in town.
Graham L
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Re: A Galaria

Post by Graham L »

We’ve been great supporters of this restaurant over the years. Not every meal has been perfect, but it is a good place for “people-watching” and it doesn’t break the bank in these days of economic gloom!!
However, since the elderly owners have obviously retired and passed operations on to the family, standards have noticeably slipped. Not so much with the sons, but the attitude of some of the newer staff certainly leaves a lot to be desired.
Eating early one night last week it took as long to get the bill, then our change, as it did to eat a three-course meal! Excuses given were that the computer was warming up, then no float money in the till.... and would we wait for a few more minutes?? Obviously we had to wait, but until we pass by and notice a few improvements and smiles, this is not now on our list. Luckily there is a good choice of restaurants in the village and surrounding area.
Interestingly, the retired father can often be seen looking over from his house across the road surveying the scene in the restaurant – what a shame he is not still hands-on, or certainly hear what’s going on. We think he would be very disappointed - we were.
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

We ate at Galaria about 3 years ago. It was really poor, so we paid for our main course and left.
Fairly, or not, that one was struck off the list!!!
ceh
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by ceh »

We ate at A Galeria a few times in May, having not eaten there since 2007 and went back twice about 10 days ago - both times we enjoyed the food and the service was fine. We chatted to the waiters about that old staple (World Cup qualifiers). We sat outside by the ice cream freezer with our coffees (and my ice cream) and the former owners were sitting there too with other members of the family.

We'll go back again (and before anyone suggests it - I have no links with the restaurant)
dajambo
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by dajambo »

i have to say we have eaten here at least half a dozen times over the years and the food is always very tasty. very family friendly and good service even when busy. will defo visist when we're ok in a week or so. :)
sportingjez
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by sportingjez »

We ate here earlier this month and it was poor. The prices look good, but the portions were a bit stingy and the food was average at best. Worst of all was the appalling service, the staff seemed disinterested and demotivated, they failed to bring out our starter, we had to ask for the bill four times after giving up on the idea of desserts, and eventually we went in and stood there until they produced one. Several other people left after being ignored after sitting down. A shame, as it's a lovely looking restaurant with a nicely lit outdoor area, but we won't be going back and I suspect neither will many others.
Farol
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Farol »

I think this restaurant is targetted at first time tourists that don't know any better. Walking up the hill for the first time it looks inviting and when you look at the menu seems simple and good value. For most frequent visitors I reckon they know there are tons of better choices.