I currently have a dumb TV with a NOW TV box connected to a broadband router with SmartDNS. This allows me to watch BBC, ITV, Sky Sports etc. However I want to replace the TV with a bigger one, and almost all are now Smart TVs.
- Is any particular brand or model of Smart TV any better than any other?
- Can you install iPlayer, for instance, on one?
- Or will I still be limited to watching Netflix and restricted Amazon Prime titles on the TV and continuing to use the NOW TV box to access iPlayer and the other catchup services?
- Should I import a UK-configured one instead?
A longer term problem is that some manufacturers seem unwilling to keep their operating systems and apps up-to-date. Safer, in my opinion, is to use the smart features of an external device such as you have now, which can relatively cheaply be upgraded in future. We went from an early NowTV box (£10) to a FireTV stick (£25). It's also easier to relocate it if necessary to load apps in the UK or elsewhere.
- CVO Senior
- Posts: 130
- Joined: Sun May 08, 2005 12:48 pm
- Location: Doncaster & QDP Carvoeiro
The beauty of a firestick is that you can take it with you, when traveling or on holiday.
Another option is a proper Android smart TV.