IMI

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.

Moderators: kteee, Gambrinus, e-richard

Farol
CVO Master
CVO Master

IMI

Post by Farol » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:08 pm

I normally receive a bill for IMI in March that needs to be paid by the end of April. However I have just checked my account on the Financas on-line site and it says "Contribuinte sem notas de cobranca no Imposto Municipal Sobre Imoveis", i.e. nothing is due. The same is shown on my wife's account. As we have had the property for many years and I can normally pick up the bill on-line and pay by bank transfer from my Portuguese bank account I don't understand why the system says we don't owe anything.

Have I missed an announcement of some sort?

Has anybody else received their bill in the last few weeks for payment during April?

Has anybody else had a similar problem in the past?

steve
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: IMI

Post by steve » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:16 pm

Now that you mention it I have not yet received any IMI demand. Perhaps there has been a delay in issuing them this year and that this is why the records show that you don't currently owe anything.

RichardHenshall
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by RichardHenshall » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:28 pm

I believe the due dates have shifted to a month later than before.

sam
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by sam » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:58 pm

Have not had mine. Just googled it and found
“IMI” due one month later in 2019. There are new deadlines for the payment of the Municipal Property Tax (“IMI”). Instead of running between April and October as before, tax settlement will take place between May and November in 2019.

sanreen
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by sanreen » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:06 pm

Yes, the IMI is due May and September this year. It is also possible to pay the IMI by direct debit. We sorted ours out in March at Lagoa.

Farol
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Farol » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:51 pm

Just found this http://info.portaldasfinancas.gov.pt/pt ... amento.pdf on the Financas web site. It confirms May for the first installment but also says August for the second :?

RichardHenshall
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by RichardHenshall » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:58 pm

I thought the 2nd instalment was November and the 3rd instalment was August with the requirement to pay in 2 or 3 instalments being based on increasingly large annual totals. :? :? :?

... but the 'official' document only refers to two instalments while https://www.economias.pt/quando-pagar-o-imi/ mentions three?

Farol
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Farol » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:05 am

The first set of invoices have now been issued for payment during May. Looking on-line it also shows when the second payment will be due and this is shown as November.

Mexican Pete
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Mexican Pete » Fri May 03, 2019 4:48 pm

I have just discovered that my rogue lawyer and "Fiscal Rep" has made off with over €1,400 IMI and Additional IMI payments that I've made to him but which he has not passed on to Finanças. Faint hope I know, but is there anywhere I might go for redress?

ceh
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by ceh » Fri May 03, 2019 10:40 pm

My solicitor emailed me to say that IMI is now due in May, August and November depending on rateable value

Sheila
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Sheila » Mon May 27, 2019 3:48 pm

You can still pay it May in one go if you want to. I cant remember how i did it but there is a button online that gives you the full amount and a different ref.