Planning Regulations

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Planning Regulations

Post by widge »

We are very fortunate to live in the municipality of Lagoa as the stringent planning regulations historically adopted by the Camara are designed to protect us from the over development and high rise monstrosities we see in places like Portimao and Albufeira.

However, are we beginning to see a few cracks appearing ? The development at Pintadinho beach and the, recently abandoned, Continente Hypermarket near Apolonia being two cases in point.

On the urbanisation where I live a new build has been approved which breaks all the previously enforced regulations concerning size of implantation (C.A.S.) and total construction area (C.O.S). The Camara are reticent to engage in discussion about how and why different rules can be applied to similar plots on the same urbanisation.

It may be purely coincidental that the local builder / architect concerned, holds a number of important commercial contracts with the Camara for carrying out essential maintenance and building works.

Forgive my cynical attitude but I do believe that the continued execution of the aforementioned stringent regulations relies increasingly with the local residents, who must insist that the Camara apply their own rules consistently without discretion or favour or, dare I say, payment!