Diy materials

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
plumbob
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Diy materials

Post by plumbob »

can any one tell where the nearest place to pickup basic DIY items is to Carvoeiro.
thanks in advance
e-richard

Re: Diy materials

Post by e-richard »

There is a map linked from this Forum (but which may be a bit out of date) containing loads of relevant shops at viewtopic.php?f=26&t=22824

Unless you want to travel to Portimao or Gui for the large superstores, a surprisingly rich source of various DIY stuff is Sanipina garden centre behind what used to be IZZY. NB You cannot turn left across the 125 to enter, you need to go all the way to the Intl School and back.

Also in Lagoa in the pedestrian walkway, there is a quaint old fashioned hardware store where I have sourced some weird bits and bobs for my older style house :wink:
PhilT
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by PhilT »

If you want the generic B&Q experience I would suggest Leroy Merlin, towards Albufeira. Anything from a nut and bolt upwards. Multilingual website with stock indicator, helpful English speaking staff if you need that. Be a bit Portuguese about the visit and pop into Armacao de Pera for a few hours on the way back..
Hadn't been to Sanipina, thanks for that.
Farol
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Farol »

For basics I'd say Aki (subdiary of Leroy Merlin) in Portimão which also has a Maxmat next door.

Another option can be some of the large chinese warehouses that are popping up in many locations - they seem to do handtools, sealants and electrical items.
plumbob
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Post by plumbob »

Thanks everyone for the info.
I am not sure where the former IZZY building was is this near the former Barclays bank building now called Bankinter??
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

plumbob wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:03 pm I am not sure where the former IZZY building was is this near the former Barclays bank building now called Bankinter??
Yes. Exactly
Rampage
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Rampage »

There is also a surprisingly good hardware store in Sesmarias, going towards Ferragudo but only about 400m from the water tower. An eclectic and diverse range of materials from paint to ballroom gowns!
smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by smudger »

Rampage wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:52 pm There is also a surprisingly good hardware store in Sesmarias, going towards Ferragudo but only about 400m from the water tower. An eclectic and diverse range of materials from paint to ballroom gowns!
Have walked past this establishment many times on way to either Jophil or Rosa’s. Went in some time ago and amazed at range of stuff!!