Rubbish disposal

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
carolyn
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Rubbish disposal

Post by carolyn »

We have quite a bit of general rubbish in our garage that we want to get rid of ( old builders buckets, leftovers from building projects etc), none of which is suitable for the recycling bins. Does anyone know where we can get rid of it? There is some sort of local 'dump' just south of the Fatacil labelled as "Centro de deposição de residuos" but it seems to be used only by large dump trucks.
Any help appreciated.
wedgepat
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Re: Rubbish disposal

Post by wedgepat »

I have used the waste depot near Fatacil many times it seems to take any type of waste products. Not sure of opening hours but I think they close for lunch.
logicbob
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by logicbob »

carolyn wrote:We have quite a bit of general rubbish in our garage that we want to get rid of ( old builders buckets, leftovers from building projects etc), none of which is suitable for the recycling bins. Does anyone know where we can get rid of it? There is some sort of local 'dump' just south of the Fatacil labelled as "Centro de deposição de residuos" but it seems to be used only by large dump trucks.
Any help appreciated.
Can you pin point this on a map for us please.
logicbob
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by logicbob »

I have found it and added it to the DIY map.

DIY, Home & Garden Stores + Supermarkets
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

After a lot of Googling and stuff, I think I have pinpointed the dump here:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@37.12774 ... authuser=0

Details on usage of the facility seem to imply that you need to fill in a form and register. Can anyone confirm this?

[edit] Ooops, cross posted with Bob, but fortunately we agreed :D
wedgepat
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by wedgepat »

Unless the rules have changed we never had to register.
carolyn
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by carolyn »

Thats definitely where I mean - but have also seen something about registering, on the camara website.
Anyone had to do this?
carolyn
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by carolyn »

For those who are interested, we have now worked out and managed to use the 'dump' at Fatacil.
You do need to register (as a domestic user) at the small 'office' on the right of the entrance. You will need your fiscal number. They dont speak any English.
They accept 5 types of rubbish - green waste, electric domestic, paper & card ,rubble ('entulhos') and everything else ('monstros').
Once registered you drive onto a weigh bridge where they weigh car & contents, then deposit your waste in the relevant skip, then back to the weighbridge. The reason for the weight is there is limit for domestic users (around 1000kg) and disposal is free. Business users have to pay.
Quite a process but we do feel we have finally found somewhere to get legitimately get rid of unwanted stuff that has no further use.
Compared to our local tips at home, there were hardly any users. Interesting as Portugal is (currently) governed by the same EU rules on recycling as the UK :?