Property Service Costs

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
Matryx
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Property Service Costs

Post by Matryx »

We purchased our property just over ten years ago at ADM. Along with the house, we continued to use the services of the housekeeper and her husband, who cleans to pool. The gardener is also covered by the monthly charges paid to the housekeeper. At the time, we were told that good housekeepers were like gold-dust, so we were advised to continue with the services. On top of the 12 monthly payments, we are also a charged a subsidy in June and December, so effectively paying for 14 months a year. The house is only occupied for probably 3 months a year and is never rented out.

The monthly charges amount to €650, including €130 paid to the gardener, which we have no way of validating. We’re pretty sure that we’re being stuffed here, but allowed it to continue in the early days, because we were concerned at leaving an empty property in a foreign country without anyone to respond to a problem. Time has drifted on and we haven’t been able to use the house as much as we had hoped, due to other commitments, so we haven’t really investigated whether the costs are realistic and fair. However, I received an email from the housekeeper, thanking me for the flowers that we had sent her for Christmas, but also asking for the extra subsidy payment, which I hadn’t made. I thought this was extremely cheeky, so I emailed a rocket back saying that I was going to review the costs, for all of the reasons mentioned above.

Am I being ripped off, or just unreasonable? I have nothing to compare against, so would appreciate any comments?

Thanks.
logicbob
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: Property Service Costs

Post by logicbob »

Matryx, it depends on what the 650 is for or should I say the 520 after the gardener has been taken out?
Matryx
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Matryx »

Housekeeping is probably 8 hours/week, when the house is occupied and the pool cleaning 1-2 hours a week. I’m not sure what happens when the house is unoccupied, although they state that they attend regularly. This is not substantiated by the activity report that I have just received from Securitas.....
Alison
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Alison »

Have sent you a PM.
Algarve Eagle
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Algarve Eagle »

I too have sent you a PM
steve
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by steve »

Ball park figures -
maid services €10 an hour plus holiday pay and social security payments if on a regular contract
pool cleaning £80 a month
property management around €100 per month
RichardHenshall
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by RichardHenshall »

Matryx wrote:... Am I being ripped off, or just unreasonable? ...
Possibly a bit of both. :D After 10 years of this arrangement it's possible that you need to review arrangements but I don't think that you can just withhold a routine payment because you've suddenly started wondering if you're getting value for money. Presumably your housekeeper will be aware that you are able to monitor activity?
steve
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by steve »

If you want to terminate or significantly change the current arrangement without their agreement you may run into the issue of having to declare them redundant with the costs associated with this. Something to check on. I know people who ran into difficulty over this.
pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by pato »

RichardHenshall wrote:
Matryx wrote:... Am I being ripped off, or just unreasonable? ...
Possibly a bit of both. :D After 10 years of this arrangement it's possible that you need to review arrangements but I don't think that you can just withhold a routine payment because you've suddenly started wondering if you're getting value for money. Presumably your housekeeper will be aware that you are able to monitor activity?
It's a frustrating situation owning a villa and not using it as a business, I constantly worry about being "ripped off" the problem is of course you have to trust people and that can be a problem, it's not a hands on situation unfortunately, I get periods of frustration when I get my monthly bills and feel like selling the place and cutting my losses, but it's not that easy it appears, good luck, just keep asking questions. I think I've had a place for 35 years or so. :roll:
djprescott
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by djprescott »

steve wrote:If you want to terminate or significantly change the current arrangement without their agreement you may run into the issue of having to declare them redundant with the costs associated with this. Something to check on. I know people who ran into difficulty over this.
Surely you would have to be employing the individuals with a contract of employment in place for redundancy payments to be due?!
pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by pato »

djprescott wrote:
steve wrote:If you want to terminate or significantly change the current arrangement without their agreement you may run into the issue of having to declare them redundant with the costs associated with this. Something to check on. I know people who ran into difficulty over this.
Surely you would have to be employing the individuals with a contract of employment in place for redundancy payments to be due?!
It seems the agents hire the staff but if anything goes wrong, you the owners are responsible financially, y'know if the cleaners aren't declaring income, you get done. :|
njc0607
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by njc0607 »

this what you should be paying...

Pool maintenance - 1 visit per week off season, 2 per week and as necessary peak. - €80-100 depending on size of pool - includes chemicals (very important, as I have heard of this being charged as extra)
Management - 12 month contract. includes all call-outs, service checks etc - €100-150/month depending on size of villa
Maids - €9-10/hour - as and when you need them - you will need to pay their insurance as well. approx. €50-70/year.
Full internet TV with all the channels and unlimited downloads etc - €50-75/month depending on system
Gardener - €100-175/month depending on size of garden and amount of visits etc.

TLC Properties is my recommendation. they do it all in house.
email: tlc@sapo.pt