UK registered cars for sale

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
steve
CVO Master
CVO Master

UK registered cars for sale

Post by steve »

There seem to be a lot of UK registered cars being offered for sale here recently. No use to me though because I have a Portuguese licence and a residencia but it made me wonder whether there is some sort of purge on UK registered cars which has led to this. Does anyone have any information or is it just a coincidence?
njc0607
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Re: UK registered cars for sale

Post by njc0607 »

Perhaps... its because a lot of people drive over here... realise how much it costs to do it and the amount of time it takes and decide its not worth driving it back..
OR
They cant get to grips with RHD cars over here... blind spots etc.. and again, cant be bothered driving back
OR
They get the shock of their life when they try patriate the car and again don't want the hassle and cost of driving back...

other than that, I have no clue why on earth you would try to sell a UK car over here - makes no sense to me.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Try comparing 2nd hand car sales prices UK/PT.

You can buy a 2nd hand car in the UK for £3,000, drive it down and sell it for 5k Euros a week later in The Algarve.
Then fly back to UK and repeat.

Not, that I have or would do it :shock:
shaz1967
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by shaz1967 »

Left hand drive cars are not so cheap to buy from the UK these days & there are other factors to consider when bringing cars from the UK to Portugal, driving around on UK plates etc.
steve
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by steve »

Thanks for your views. The cars I have seen for sale are not very expensive compared to the equivalent Portuguese registered vehicle so I guess there is a lot of sense in what njc0670 says. Certainly the cost of matriculating a UK car without the benefit of the change of residence concession is ridiculously high.