Permitted building area ?

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Permitted building area ?

Post by widge »

Please can anybody explain the differences between the following official forms of measurement as described below?

01 – Polygon area. ( Polígono de implantação )
02 – Construction area. ( Área de Construção )
03 – Building implantation ( Área de Implantação )

Also do these measures apply to the footprint only or second and third floors if applicable.

Finally, when an estate agent advertises the size of a 2 storey villa as 320 m2 is this the footprint or the entire covered area of the house including terraces, garages etc?

Thank you.
RichardHenshall
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Re: Permitted building area ?

Post by RichardHenshall »

My curiosity was piqued by the first term, which I had never heard before.

I found this glossary which may help.
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

Thank you Richard.

Now if you could interpret the english translation into something a Bristol boy (in his sixties) might understand we could make some real progress :D :D

The area of the deployment polygon will always be equal to or greater than the building's deployment area. The deployment polygon will normally be delimited in an urbanization or detail plan or by subdivision permit, directly through its design in plan or through parameters of edificability, namely by the imposition of setbacks and withdrawals. The deployment site may also result, in whole or in part, from the delimitation of administrative easements or restrictions of public utility.

The total construction area should be disaggregated according to the uses, distinguishing in particular: housing (Ac hab), commerce (Ac com), services (Ac serv), parking (Ac est), arre Ac ind) and logistics and warehouses (Ac log). In addition to this distinction, the total construction areas above and below the threshold level must be accounted for separately. The total construction area can also be broken down according to the public or private purpose of the buildings,

distinguishing the total area of construction destined to public facilities of collective use of the total area of construction destined for all other purposes. The total construction area is expressed in square meters. The designation of the total construction area replaces others, commonly used as gross area, covered area and pavement area.

The total area of implantation is expressed in square meters. The total area of deployment can still be disaggregated according to the public or private purpose of the buildings, distinguishing the total area of deployment intended for public facilities of collective use of the total area of deployment intended for all other purposes.
RichardHenshall
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by RichardHenshall »

Are you considering a building site or an extension that comes with planning constraints?

I suspect you need an architect or similar to provide accurate details but my lay interpretation would be roughly:

01 – Polygon area. ( Polígono de implantação ) ~ A restriction on the sprawl of the footprint - the whole footprint must be enclosed within a polygon of that area - the shape (and therefore size) might be defined by limits on clearances between the building and the boundaries. Probably most relevant in smaller plots?
02 – Construction area. ( Área de Construção ) ~ Total built area (but may also include terraces, verandas, pools(?) etc) so a two-storey house will have this as roughly twice the footprint.
03 – Building implantation ( Área de Implantação ) ~ Footprint.

I may be wrong, though.

I would guess that an estate agent quotes an area that would be closest to the construction area (of your 3 options), even though one would include the external walls etc and the other possibly shouldn't.
steve
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by steve »

I would expect the estate agent definition to include all covered area ground and first floor including a garage where appropriate but not the uncovered terraces