Nowo phone & broadband

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Nowo phone & broadband

Post by alf1956 »

Hello fellow members does anybody have Nowo phone & broadband fitted & if so is it any good ie what speeds can you get etc & are they using fibre optic cables.
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: Nowo phone & broadband

Post by widge »

The broadband speeds with Nowo in Sesmarias are excellent c. 100mbps but................the service costs twice as much as comparable services from competitors. I am in the process of cancelling my contract. Speak to Rui at R J Technica he is a wise sage with solid advice.
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

Thanks widge, i am currently paying 35 euros per month for phone line & 12mbps broadband (never ever had 12mbps or even 8mbps) what are the prices with nowo ?
ANDY
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by ANDY »

CLAUDIA LOPES 967913143
Attachments
20708213_10154610088271035_4121594952986241687_n.jpg
20708213_10154610088271035_4121594952986241687_n.jpg (79.07 KiB) Viewed 8338 times
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

ANDY wrote:CLAUDIA LOPES 967913143
Thanks
steve
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by steve »

I am thoroughly cheesed off with MEO. The internet keeps dropping and I am badgered by agents who have very limited technical knowledge trying to sell me a so called improved service which will tie me in for another two years. Does anyone know what lines or cables Nowo are using to get their much greater line speed and is the internet service stable?
DVBRO
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by DVBRO »

steve wrote:I am thoroughly cheesed off with MEO. The internet keeps dropping and I am badgered by agents who have very limited technical knowledge trying to sell me a so called improved service which will tie me in for another two years. Does anyone know what lines or cables Nowo are using to get their much greater line speed and is the internet service stable?
Based on my experience living here for a few years, all the Communication Companies are useless, over the phone or in their shops. They will try and sell you anything!
Firstly, you should ascertain, talking to neighbours, not the providers, what is available and who they use and results.
Fibre Optic is definitely available in certain areas, however, I understand that the Goverment has stated that all properties should have it available in a few years.
Even though there is a connection point 100 yards from my Villa, no one, even private Companies, will not hook me up. I even offered to pay. No go!
Dropping off of Internet has increased owing to visitor usage and abolishment of Data Roaming charges.
Thoroughly do your own private reasearch, then contact the provider. Make it clear that, if, once installed you have a two week trial, to ensure you are receiving what your paying for!
Good luck
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

alf1956 wrote:Thanks widge, i am currently paying 35 euros per month for phone line & 12mbps broadband (never ever had 12mbps or even 8mbps) what are the prices with nowo ?
I have been with them since 2014. The speed is at least 80 mbps sometimes higher even on wifi. After the initial offer price the monthly cost has stabilised at around 58 euros per month. I am told that this twice as much as similar service available from R J Technica so I am changing supplier giving 1 months notice.
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

DVBRO wrote:
steve wrote:I am thoroughly cheesed off with MEO. The internet keeps dropping and I am badgered by agents who have very limited technical knowledge trying to sell me a so called improved service which will tie me in for another two years. Does anyone know what lines or cables Nowo are using to get their much greater line speed and is the internet service stable?
Based on my experience living here for a few years, all the Communication Companies are useless, over the phone or in their shops. They will try and sell you anything!
Firstly, you should ascertain, talking to neighbours, not the providers, what is available and who they use and results.
Fibre Optic is definitely available in certain areas, however, I understand that the Goverment has stated that all properties should have it available in a few years.
Even though there is a connection point 100 yards from my Villa, no one, even private Companies, will not hook me up. I even offered to pay. No go!
Dropping off of Internet has increased owing to visitor usage and abolishment of Data Roaming charges.
Thoroughly do your own private reasearch, then contact the provider. Make it clear that, if, once installed you have a two week trial, to ensure you are receiving what your paying for!
Good luck
Thanks for that very detailed info DVBRO.
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

widge wrote:
alf1956 wrote:Thanks widge, i am currently paying 35 euros per month for phone line & 12mbps broadband (never ever had 12mbps or even 8mbps) what are the prices with nowo ?
I have been with them since 2014. The speed is at least 80 mbps sometimes higher even on wifi. After the initial offer price the monthly cost has stabilised at around 58 euros per month. I am told that this twice as much as similar service available from R J Technica so I am changing supplier giving 1 months notice.
Hi widge, are you with meo or nowo ? I would be very intersted in whaat kind of deal you get from R J Technica & would be gratefull if you could let us know please. Is R J Technica the place down in the basement shopping mall on restaraunt hill?
Farol
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Farol »

RJ Technica might undercut other suppliers but they are not going to use their own network. I expect as a small local shop that they are just a reseller so if your problems are caused by a poor infrastructure then there is very little if anything that R J Technica could do to improve the service other than being a bit cheaper.

It's like in the UK where there are loads of suppliers (large & small) for broadband contracts but nearly all of them have to supply the service over BT Openreach cables so if that is where a problem lies then it doesn't matter whom your contract is with.

To get a good reliable service you want cable or fibre all the way to your premises (if possible) with your service provider having their own dedicated servers etc throughout. For example in the UK there is now fibre to most BT local distribution cabinets (the green box on the street corner) and taking Sky as an example Sky have a lot of their own equipment now in the local BT/Openreach telephone exchange.
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

Farol wrote:RJ Technica might undercut other suppliers but they are not going to use their own network. I expect as a small local shop that they are just a reseller so if your problems are caused by a poor infrastructure then there is very little if anything that R J Technica could do to improve the service other than being a bit cheaper.

It's like in the UK where there are loads of suppliers (large & small) for broadband contracts but nearly all of them have to supply the service over BT Openreach cables so if that is where a problem lies then it doesn't matter whom your contract is with.

To get a good reliable service you want cable or fibre all the way to your premises (if possible) with your service provider having their own dedicated servers etc throughout. For example in the UK there is now fibre to most BT local distribution cabinets (the green box on the street corner) and taking Sky as an example Sky have a lot of their own equipment now in the local BT/Openreach telephone exchange.
We have a similar problem in the Uk as our estate does not have fibre cabling as its only a small estate of approx 100 houses so BT,SKY & Virgin do not deem it viable to have fibre cables so we are on the old style cabling which means the best we can get is 12Mbps as we are quite a distance from the exchange, the 1st houses in Sheffield to get the fibre cabling were the very large council estates presumably because they have thousands of potential customers.
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

alf1956 wrote:
widge wrote:
Hi widge, are you with meo or nowo ? I would be very intersted in whaat kind of deal you get from R J Technica & would be gratefull if you could let us know please. Is R J Technica the place down in the basement shopping mall on restaraunt hill?
I am with Nowo. Yes R J Technica are in the basement.

They are re sellers & installers not infrastructure suppliers. However, Nowo couldn't supply the type of installation I wanted and recommended R J T to me. R J T will replace all the Nowo wiring from the street to my house in order to provide the custom installation I am seeking. I will lose the Cabovisao "Box" with its 400 channels, Film Club, media interface etc but I am paying for this when I don't need it. A simple Mag 254 box for IPTV will suffice. I expect the monthly cost to be 30 euros plus some additional installation charges because I need two independent circuits. I will have to change my phone number too but as I don't use the landline its no hardship.