Roof terraces

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
mardi
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Roof terraces

Post by mardi »

I am in the need of a bit of advice. I have noticed that some of the tiles on our room terrace have cracked and are loose. Is this likely to cause water to get in? Can anyone recommend a tradesman that is capable of repairing or completely re-tiling the roof? Any ideas on how big a job this is? I think it's about 30 sq metres in all. Just wondering if there are any other solution apart from tiling? Would appreciate advice from others that have encountered this problem. Thank you
Geriatric
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Re: Roof terraces

Post by Geriatric »

The tiles do little if anything to stop water penetration. There will be a membrane or several coats of sealant underneath the tiles. My tiles lifted and cracked because there was no expansion joint. I dug down to find there was a membrane 50mm polystyrene and about 40mm screed on which the tiles were fixed. There was never any sign of water penetration.
Gerry Cullen
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Gerry Cullen »

Hi Mardi,
There is a mate of mine living in Alvor that could help you on this called Ray O'Leary, he is from Cork, good guy, gifted with his hands. His phone no. is 087 6110290. It won't cost you anything to give him a ring. I wouldn't leave cracked or broken tiles, they are serving a purpose and for the sake of a couple of bob I would get them sorted. Let me know how you get on.

Gerry Cullen.
mardi
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by mardi »

Thanks Gerry but I have already got someone on the job.