Piped water supply

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
ceh
CVO Master
CVO Master

Piped water supply

Post by ceh »

We are just back from a lovely sunny Easter weekend in cvo.

Much to our surprise, we found that piped water supplies seem to be being run into the area around Caramujeira. Pipes have been run along the track (road) and there are what look like meter cupboards on the villa wall plus small covers in the road.

I asked a neighbour, who said she'd been waiting for mains water for 36 years, what the process is for getting connected. She said that we needed to 'sign on ' at the Camara in Lagoa.

I'm sure that this will be a costly process but having paid for 2 new pumps for the borehole in 10 years and having the borehole re-drilled/deepened when it collapsed, the idea of mains water is very, very attractive. The borehole supply tends to be unreliable, full of salts and a worry! The plants struggle and my orange trees planted about 8 years back look very sad. The lemon, pomegranate and apricot trees died.

I was told that the workman had just arrived and started work without any warning but what now? Does anyone know what happens next.....? I feel this should be a reason for me to rush back, abandoning work but to do what?
Algarve Eagle
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Re: Piped water supply

Post by Algarve Eagle »

I am still enjoying my lovely sunny Easter in Caramujeira!

I am also sitting here scratching my head and wondering what to do next after the miraculous appearance of a meter cupboard at the boundary wall, together with a nearby access point to the pipes. Our borehole has long since dried up, we get our water from the adega and the quality is poor with consequent adverse impact on plants, irrigation system, pumps, washing machine etc.

Our gardener who is well versed in local matters believes that we will shortly be receiving a letter from the Camara to explain the process ..... not holding my breath though! We will certainly need to pay for the necessary pipework to connect from the meter cupboard to the cisterna or directly into the house. We are returning to the UK on Sunday but I will see if I can get any more information beforehand.
ceh
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by ceh »

Thanks for your post....Jealous that you're still there.... we were very happy when suddenly we spotted an access cover in the track and even stopped the car. I initially thought the boxes on the walls were for external electric meters as its been suggested I should get one.

I was thinking of asking the poolman as he tends to be very helpful but I try not to put too much on him, but usually do (he does other stuff too). I was wondering/worried that I'd missed something! I should've asked my German neighbour but didn't get a chance. I wonder where the camara will write to ?

I will exchange any info gleaned.
Algarve Eagle
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Algarve Eagle »

Did you manage to get any information on the process for connection? Or better still get connected?

I guess the Camara is looking for a return on its investment in laying mains pipes to the properties, as it has apparently ordered the adega owner to stop selling his water. Therefore we face the prospect of having none when we visit in late October!
pickwick
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by pickwick »

Hi,

Call Eduardo for water in Caramujeira area 919430818, he speaks very good English. Tell him Philip gave you the number!

Pickwick

PS He is a local resident too and will know all about the water situation and what you need to do!
Algarve Eagle
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Algarve Eagle »

Thanks!
ceh
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by ceh »

Not sure if you got my PM about a month ago, Algarve Eagle?

Simple answer is no progress yet but we are heading to the villa on Wednesday for a few days to try to crack this. I have asked my solicitor to call the Camara but I've not heard anything from her. Think it will be a serious test of my language skills! Will update you on my return
Algarve Eagle
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Algarve Eagle »

ceh, I have PM'd you
ceh
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by ceh »

Algarve Eagle - I have sent you a PM after my recent visit. Thanks, Caroline